What if... ? Question about a hypothetical hit
Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
What if... ? Question about a hypothetical hit
Hypothetically speaking:
Let’s say I withdrew some money at the airport just before boarding a plane and the ATM would give me a note from the country where I was travelling to. If I spent that note in its country of origin and if it was later registered by another tracker, would you find it suspicious that (for instance) an Irish note was first registered by me in Belgium and later by somebody else in Ireland?
What would you do in a situation like that? Would you separate that note and save it for your next trip, say, to Austria? Or would you just spend it as originally planned in Ireland and not worry about possible consequences? After all, a hit is not too likely… (Or would you write this thing in your diary and IF there was a hit later on, you would reveal the whole story then?)
Let’s say I withdrew some money at the airport just before boarding a plane and the ATM would give me a note from the country where I was travelling to. If I spent that note in its country of origin and if it was later registered by another tracker, would you find it suspicious that (for instance) an Irish note was first registered by me in Belgium and later by somebody else in Ireland?
What would you do in a situation like that? Would you separate that note and save it for your next trip, say, to Austria? Or would you just spend it as originally planned in Ireland and not worry about possible consequences? After all, a hit is not too likely… (Or would you write this thing in your diary and IF there was a hit later on, you would reveal the whole story then?)
I would spend it. I don't think that would be too suspicious, but then again... And you're right: it's not very probable to happen, so might as well spend it.
Well, it depends: if you're asking this question to apply only to your specific case, then I guess, it would be OK, but in the most broad sense, most EBT-ers don't post at the forum, so for them that would be kind of hard...Annie_in_exile wrote:(Or would you write this thing in your diary and IF there was a hit later on, you would reveal the whole story then?)
- Skylimit
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 985
- Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
- Location: Belgium, Izegem
- Contact:
Don't forget there are tons of pooling notes around.
There is no telling that your Irish note ever circulated in Ireland.
As a matter of fact, about 15% of the notes circulating in Italy are Irish pooling notes ... (looking at the stats)
In Belgium lots of 20€ bills are Spanish,
and so on...
It is also common to swap houses between Irish and Belgians during summer holidays ...
and so on, so we do visit eachothers country, and that way bills get swapped.
There is no telling that your Irish note ever circulated in Ireland.
As a matter of fact, about 15% of the notes circulating in Italy are Irish pooling notes ... (looking at the stats)
In Belgium lots of 20€ bills are Spanish,
and so on...
It is also common to swap houses between Irish and Belgians during summer holidays ...
and so on, so we do visit eachothers country, and that way bills get swapped.
Time is on our side ...
- bhoeyb
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4270
- Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
- Location: Herentals - Belgium
- Contact:
Many of my hits are printed in a foreign country: The 5 € hit from Corsica was a note printed in Holland, first entered in Belgium and later in France.Donald wrote:These things just happen. Last Thursday I repatriated a Belgian 5 € note entered in Germany to Brussels. I also got a German 5 € note there which has been repatriated to Germany in the meantime, so what?
I've spent e.g. French notes who are entered first time in Belgium, in France last week. I don't care ...
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
Like I said, this was only a hypothetical "problem" - please don't think that I wander around, thinking whether or not spend the note. It's long gone, but before registering it I just wondered if anybody does any screening before putting them back to circulation, or is it just money, meant to be spent. And in retrospect, had the note been re-registered the following day in Ireland, I myself would have found that hit rather suspicious.
I also know this is just nitpicking when the notes are circulated both officially by the authorities and by all the people travelling around Europe. However, if there are any "rare" notes (especially T, M,Y), I try to give them a kick in the a** and spend them as far away from their country of origin/registering as possible. Naturally I don't bother planning ahead or keeping a special track of the Zs, Xs and Vs which are so common.
Besides, I find it rather boring if the note returns (or is repatriated - what a good term
) to Ireland once it's got the whole continent to conquer.
. "Got this note at the Vienna airport, took it home to Brussels for registration, will spend it in Paris next weekend." Too bad that the comment field is so short, and you can't modify it later - so once you've planned to spend a note in Paris, you feel obliged to do so. (But darling, I just have to buy these shoes, I need to spend this note in Paris today, I've told so on the EBT…)

I also know this is just nitpicking when the notes are circulated both officially by the authorities and by all the people travelling around Europe. However, if there are any "rare" notes (especially T, M,Y), I try to give them a kick in the a** and spend them as far away from their country of origin/registering as possible. Naturally I don't bother planning ahead or keeping a special track of the Zs, Xs and Vs which are so common.
Besides, I find it rather boring if the note returns (or is repatriated - what a good term
Yes, I use the comment field with about 75 % of the notes I register - not only writing the source but also the destination; where the note went back to circulation. It's like the 5- or 10-year-plans of the old socialist statesAntti wrote:And the comment box is useful here. You can write a comment such as "withdrawn from an ATM in the airport" or something and that would make it a lot less suspicious
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
- Skylimit
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 985
- Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
- Location: Belgium, Izegem
- Contact:
Some parts of Ireland are actually quite sunny, I heardAnnie_in_exile wrote: So they want to experience the difference between Belgian rain and Irish rain?
(at least in the summer)
Why Irish come here, I dunno, maybe because Belgium is the one place on earth where you eat best (or was that France)
Time is on our side ...
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
Must be because of the seven wonders of Belgium (which do exist but no-one has ever seen).Skylimit wrote:Why Irish come here, I dunno, maybe because Belgium is the one place on earth where you eat best (or was that France)
Belgium IS good for your tastebuds and bad for your waistline. I have a friend who travels a lot and claims that he has never eaten a decent meal in France, whereas every time he comes to Belgium, there's something different and delicious.
---
(Should we start another discussion about people's conceptions of other countries? List all the clichés and prejudices... Or on a more positive note: which European countries would you like to see and what to do there?)

