Your opinions on this scenario
Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus
Your opinions on this scenario
I've seen many people in this forum say that, if they got their hands on a large amount of cash, they would register a gazillion bills on EBT.
Well, today, a person who trusts me enough to do this, gave me their debit card, so I could withdraw €200 from an ATM. I did, but before I handed back those bills, I religiously jotted down all values/serials/shortcodes.
Then it occurred to me: what if someone had, let's say, an account in the bank with €500 who wouldn't have much movement. That person every day would withdraw €200 for the sole purpose of registering the bills on EBT and then deposit them back in the bank. Wow, what a great way to register a lot of bills on EBT. But then again, is this fair game? To what point can this be considered 'natural circulation'? Another thing: the bills I withdrew had consecutive serials (they were brand new). If doing this is OK, how can that person be sure their account is not blocked? They would be entering many serial lists, since many ATM's give out brand new bills.
So, what do you say, is this a good way to enter bills? Because, I'll admit it, I was kind of thinking of doing this myself... Anyway, your thoughts appreciated.
Well, today, a person who trusts me enough to do this, gave me their debit card, so I could withdraw €200 from an ATM. I did, but before I handed back those bills, I religiously jotted down all values/serials/shortcodes.
Then it occurred to me: what if someone had, let's say, an account in the bank with €500 who wouldn't have much movement. That person every day would withdraw €200 for the sole purpose of registering the bills on EBT and then deposit them back in the bank. Wow, what a great way to register a lot of bills on EBT. But then again, is this fair game? To what point can this be considered 'natural circulation'? Another thing: the bills I withdrew had consecutive serials (they were brand new). If doing this is OK, how can that person be sure their account is not blocked? They would be entering many serial lists, since many ATM's give out brand new bills.
So, what do you say, is this a good way to enter bills? Because, I'll admit it, I was kind of thinking of doing this myself... Anyway, your thoughts appreciated.
- bhoeyb
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4270
- Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
- Location: Herentals - Belgium
- Contact:
Re: Your opinions on this scenario
I think you can't modify the circulation. Unless you print your own notesBogPoet wrote: Then it occurred to me: what if someone had, let's say, an account in the bank with €500 who wouldn't have much movement. That person every day would withdraw €200 for the sole purpose of registering the bills on EBT and then deposit them back in the bank. Wow, what a great way to register a lot of bills on EBT. But then again, is this fair game? To what point can this be considered 'natural circulation'?
Yes, I've noticed that. I was thinking you became a serialistBogPoet wrote: Another thing: the bills I withdrew had consecutive serials (they were brand new).
If you enter by the comment those bills are all uncirculated, I don't see any problems.BogPoet wrote: If doing this is OK, how can that person be sure their account is not blocked? They would be entering many serial lists, since many ATM's give out brand new bills.
This doesn't change the circulation of notes much, the only difference is that you register notes you normally get no access to. This way of working does not reflect your way of circulating money, it reveals how a small fraction of your bank's money migrates. If a bank clerk registers his bank's money during work it is virtually the same thing.
I myself had during last year the opportunity to exchange some notes with a bank on a day by day base. I estimate that 2500 of my 6200 notes have been entered to EBT in this way.
Now this opportunity no longer exists and I dropped from 7 to 15 in the rangkings. Still my monetary behavior is changed: I don't use credit cards in Euroland anymore and I spend about 3 times more cash in Euros than I used to do with Deutschmarks before. I also spend more notes because I pay small sums with bigger notes and get more change and I pay bigger sums with the change I get from paying small sums. I think my monetary behavior is quite unusual.
I myself had during last year the opportunity to exchange some notes with a bank on a day by day base. I estimate that 2500 of my 6200 notes have been entered to EBT in this way.
Now this opportunity no longer exists and I dropped from 7 to 15 in the rangkings. Still my monetary behavior is changed: I don't use credit cards in Euroland anymore and I spend about 3 times more cash in Euros than I used to do with Deutschmarks before. I also spend more notes because I pay small sums with bigger notes and get more change and I pay bigger sums with the change I get from paying small sums. I think my monetary behavior is quite unusual.
- Dakkus
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4734
- Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
- Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
- Contact:
Sounds familiar ;)Donald wrote: I also spend more notes because I pay small sums with bigger notes and get more change and I pay bigger sums with the change I get from paying small sums. I think my monetary behavior is quite unusual.
Guess that's a bit of a "problem" with all of us. If not yet, then soon it will ;)
Of course this is a bit of a headache to the shopkeepers. You see, counting the money the shop's gonna have to give back from that 500e note of yours takes time. And so does it take time to count the gazillion 5c coins you use to pay your new Ferrari ;)
BTW.. I always change my coins back to notes when I've used all my >5e notes to get smaller ones ;)
And I use worn out notes rather in those situations where they're not about to go straight to bank than in those where they'd go to bank and get shredded. More possibilites to have a hit, you know ;) Shredded money is always a bit of a failure for us EBTers.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
- emmem
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 974
- Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
The purpose of this site is to see how notes travel.
The more notes in the system, the more we will see how notes travel.
If somebody withdraws notes from an ATM with the purpose to get more notes entered, it changes way it would travel. But the note would still travel. And what's better, we would know a little bit more about the notes journey.
So I think it's OK.
I remember in science you can't measure the position and the speed of a particle at the same time, because by measuring you change one of both (or something like that). I guess when we want to measure how notes travel, in a way we also will influence a bit how the notes travel.
The more notes in the system, the more we will see how notes travel.
If somebody withdraws notes from an ATM with the purpose to get more notes entered, it changes way it would travel. But the note would still travel. And what's better, we would know a little bit more about the notes journey.
So I think it's OK.
I remember in science you can't measure the position and the speed of a particle at the same time, because by measuring you change one of both (or something like that). I guess when we want to measure how notes travel, in a way we also will influence a bit how the notes travel.
Last track:.31-07-2007.:
Hahacodi wrote:Very familiar to me... I do exactly the same thingDakkus wrote:Sounds familiarDonald wrote: I also spend more notes because I pay small sums with bigger notes and get more change and I pay bigger sums with the change I get from paying small sums. I think my monetary behavior is quite unusual.![]()
![]()
I'll collect a punch of 5-euro notes before I start my holiday. By the way, Belgians will have a possibility to get a long-distance hit! I'm going to spend the notes in Brussels and Antwerp. I'll be there between 14th and 20th of July. I'll also take a huge amount of Finnish euro coins with me, and they are most shiny ones I've taken aside during the last six months.
An extra hint: I'm going to visit in a museum called Jijé in Brussels on Tuesday (15th) or Wednesday (16th).
I'll also visit in several pubs in Brussels. You Belgians will have a good excuse to go out to get tanked up! You can say that you are tracking euro notes.
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
On behalf of Brussels, the whole Belgium and all the trackers here I wish you welcome! (not that I have any expectations concerning the notes you bring, not at allAaron wrote:By the way, Belgians will have a possibility to get a long-distance hit! I'm going to spend the notes in Brussels and Antwerp. I'll be there between 14th and 20th of July.
By the way, if you're in Brussels on Friday 18th, I highly recommend checking out the weekly roller skating parade. It starts at 21.00 and rolls around the city centre. Here's the itinerary and some photos of the previous event.
http://forum.rouliroula.com/viewtopic.php?t=205
http://brx2706.rouliroula.com/
Cheers a lot!Annie_in_exile wrote:On behalf of Brussels, the whole Belgium and all the trackers here I wish you welcome! (not that I have any expectations concerning the notes you bring, not at all)
Remember to check carefully all the L-notes! I always mark my notes with a little dot on the upper right corner (next to the hologram line).
I'm going to stay at my Belgian friend's place, he works for EU as interpreter. He's translating from Finnish to French, so I can use my own mother tongue in Belgium.
Annie_in_exile wrote:By the way, if you're in Brussels on Friday 18th, I highly recommend checking out the weekly roller skating parade. It starts at 21.00 and rolls around the city centre. Here's the itinerary and some photos of the previous event.
http://forum.rouliroula.com/viewtopic.php?t=205
http://brx2706.rouliroula.com/
I'm afraid I'll be in Antwerp then. Too bad I won't be able to see the event, roller-skater women have usually very well-shaped buttocks.
- Chiel
- Euro-Expert in Training

- Posts: 382
- Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 8:48 pm
- Location: Groningen. the Netherlands
Re: Your opinions on this scenario
My brother and I do that regularly. I don't think it is against the 'EBT rules' because the notes are put back in natural circulation and not given directly to another user.BogPoet wrote:I've seen many people in this forum say that, if they got their hands on a large amount of cash, they would register a gazillion bills on EBT.
Well, today, a person who trusts me enough to do this, gave me their debit card, so I could withdraw €200 from an ATM. I did, but before I handed back those bills, I religiously jotted down all values/serials/shortcodes.
Then it occurred to me: what if someone had, let's say, an account in the bank with €500 who wouldn't have much movement. That person every day would withdraw €200 for the sole purpose of registering the bills on EBT and then deposit them back in the bank. Wow, what a great way to register a lot of bills on EBT. But then again, is this fair game? To what point can this be considered 'natural circulation'? Another thing: the bills I withdrew had consecutive serials (they were brand new). If doing this is OK, how can that person be sure their account is not blocked? They would be entering many serial lists, since many ATM's give out brand new bills.
So, what do you say, is this a good way to enter bills? Because, I'll admit it, I was kind of thinking of doing this myself... Anyway, your thoughts appreciated.
Money in hand, that´s buying / Penger i hånden, det er kjøp --- Erlend Loe
- Annie_in_exile
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 990
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
Two discussions going on here.Aaron wrote: I'm going to stay at my Belgian friend's place, he works for EU as interpreter. He's translating from Finnish to French, so I can use my own mother tongue in Belgium.![]()
I'm afraid I'll be in Antwerp then. Too bad I won't be able to see the event, roller-skater women have usually very well-shaped buttocks.The same concerns also bicyclists.
Abot your friend... please be careful not to mix interpreters and translators. Usually they're quite strict about any terms, so he may snap at you for using the wrong word. (Interpreting happens orally, for instance in the EU meetings. Translators do it in writing.)
So, Aaron, I guess your favourite singer is Sir Mix-A-Lot. Haha! --Reference also to the discussion where they list favourite quotings. I could also add "I'm in shape. Round is a shape."
- bhoeyb
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4270
- Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
- Location: Herentals - Belgium
- Contact:
You should spent all your Finnish 5E's in Antwerp (Aaron wrote: I'll collect a punch of 5-euro notes before I start my holiday. By the way, Belgians will have a possibility to get a long-distance hit! I'm going to spend the notes in Brussels and Antwerp. I'll be there between 14th and 20th of July. I'll also take a huge amount of Finnish euro coins with me, and they are most shiny ones I've taken aside during the last six months.
Goodluck!
He is interpreter. He said he belongs to those ones who don't have to take work to home.Annie_in_exile wrote:Abot your friend... please be careful not to mix interpreters and translators. Usually they're quite strict about any terms, so he may snap at you for using the wrong word. (Interpreting happens orally, for instance in the EU meetings. Translators do it in writing.)
So my beer belly is in shape. I train it very often by visiting at a "half kilo's gym".Annie_in_exile wrote:So, Aaron, I guess your favourite singer is Sir Mix-A-Lot. Haha! --Reference also to the discussion where they list favourite quotings. I could also add "I'm in shape. Round is a shape."![]()
![]()
How about if you come to Brussels and go to the same pub with me to have a couple of pints together. I'd pay in Finnish 5E notes and you in big Belgian notes. Maybe you'd get some Finnish ones as a change.bhoeyb wrote:You should spent all your Finnish 5E's in Antwerp ( closest to Herentals) and go to an ATM in Brussels to get new notes.
Goodluck!
- eurobillsandcoins
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
- Location: Hong Kong SAR
- Contact:
- bhoeyb
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4270
- Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
- Location: Herentals - Belgium
- Contact:
Sorry, not possible. I'll leave for Scotland tonightAaron wrote:How about if you come to Brussels and go to the same pub with me to have a couple of pints together. I'd pay in Finnish 5E notes and you in big Belgian notes. Maybe you'd get some Finnish ones as a change.bhoeyb wrote:You should spent all your Finnish 5E's in Antwerp ( closest to Herentals) and go to an ATM in Brussels to get new notes.
Goodluck!
Last edited by bhoeyb on Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

