Your opinions on this scenario

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

Re: Your opinions on this scenario

Post by BogPoet »

Well, this thread spun a bit off-topic. Anyway, thank you for your opinions. I guess it was obvious, since I was considering actually do it, that I thought it was OK. But, just because I didn't see anything wrong with it, doesn't mean there wasn't anything. So, thank you all.
In my view, EBT is a game. No winners, no losers, but still a game. Considering I wasn't actually breaking any rules for the game, I was just saying, "Hey, this bills were in an ATM which is located here", it also seems OK. I just "freed" them ;) and registered them on EBT. Well, this is all to say that I inserted 15 bills today, thanks to that. Expect to see my bill count rising sharply :D
bhoeyb wrote: Yes, I've noticed that. I was thinking you became a serialist :wink: :lol: :lol: .
:lol: That isn't really my style. I'm in this for the fun of it, not to ruin other people's fun.
bhoeyb wrote: If you enter by the comment those bills are all uncirculated, I don't see any problems.
Actually, for those bills, I do. It's just that I write my comments in Portuguese.

Code: Select all

BogPoet 2003-07-03 16:16:58  Loulé 8100 MB CGD Rotunda - nova em folha
'nova em folha' means 'brand new'... ;)
Tracking (again) Image
User avatar
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4270
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
Location: Herentals - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Your opinions on this scenario

Post by bhoeyb »

BogPoet wrote:
bhoeyb wrote: If you enter by the comment those bills are all uncirculated, I don't see any problems.
Actually, for those bills, I do. It's just that I write my comments in Portuguese.

Code: Select all

BogPoet 2003-07-03 16:16:58  Loulé 8100 MB CGD Rotunda - nova em folha
'nova em folha' means 'brand new'... ;)
You can write them in Portuguese AND English 8) .
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Your opinions on this scenario

Post by Fons »

bhoeyb wrote:
BogPoet wrote:
bhoeyb wrote: If you enter by the comment those bills are all uncirculated, I don't see any problems.
Actually, for those bills, I do. It's just that I write my comments in Portuguese.

Code: Select all

BogPoet 2003-07-03 16:16:58  Loulé 8100 MB CGD Rotunda - nova em folha
'nova em folha' means 'brand new'... ;)
You can write them in Portuguese AND English 8) .
That's what I do sometimes. I even write it in Finnish sometimes, I know one word for in the comment Ryppynnen (that means it's wrinkled, or is it ryppyinnen?
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2243
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:52 am
Location: Helden, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Your opinions on this scenario

Post by MDeen »

BogPoet wrote:Well, this thread spun a bit off-topic. Anyway, thank you for your opinions. I guess it was obvious, since I was considering actually do it, that I thought it was OK. But, just because I didn't see anything wrong with it, doesn't mean there wasn't anything. So, thank you all.
Doing like this can cause false hits but it all depends on how deposited notes are handled and how many trackers are going to withdraw from the same ATM.

Consider this:
Suppose the bank puts deposited notes in the ATM, this means that when you withdraw notes, enter them and deposit them again, someone else will get the same note without the note having travelled. If this person also enters the note, I would incline to call it a false hit because you only took the note for the sole purpose as to register it. But, if this second person does not enter the note, it starts traveling as it would have when you entered the note in normal traffic. When it gets a hit then by a third person, I consider this much more genuine.

But, there is the question it the bank enters the notes in their own ATMs. I think not. In the Netherlands the filling of ATMs is normally done by an external company. So, the note you withdraw, enter and deposit will go to some central collecting point and gets distributed to some other ATM.
I've thought about this and I'm still not sure how I would value this hit.

But apart from that: I've played with the thought myself. And as I'm unemployed at the moment, If you see the number of bills I've entered go up quickly, you know what I'm doing :)

Maarten
User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

Re: Your opinions on this scenario

Post by BogPoet »

MDeen wrote: Doing like this can cause false hits but it all depends on how deposited notes are handled and how many trackers are going to withdraw from the same ATM.
I see your point, but I'm not really worried about this. The little town were I live has only two active trackers, my sister and myself (and two non-active, whose total bills entered amount to one), so the chances of said hit are astronomically low. Anyway, I HAVE those bills with me. It's true, I just withdrew them to register them, but I DO have them with me. I just took them from the bank, registered them and then send them on their merry way. Discussing what would happen if I didn't took them from there it's a bit like discussing quantum physics and alternate timelines.
MDeen wrote:In the Netherlands the filling of ATMs is normally done by an external company
Also in Portugal. SIBS takes care of that.
Tracking (again) Image
Petri6
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:22 pm
Location: Finland

Post by Petri6 »

So you withdrew some money to register them into ebt, right? But I'm confused that are you going to take them back into the bank without using them? I think that someone said that it would be cheating, I'm not sure. Like you said, ebt is kind of an game, but I think that everybody should make their own rules and do what they think is right. As long as you follow some basic rules.
Thomas B
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Zeist, Netherlands

Post by Thomas B »

I think registrating money in EBT is a way to tell the world: on this moment this bill was here on this place. If you didn't took the bills from the ATM and brought them back later, they would have been in the same place, but would not be registrated. So I think it don't mind if you take them from an ATM... :roll:
Finn
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:46 am
Location: Finland

Post by Finn »

When I opened an account on another bank, I moved cash there manually, ie. withdrew money from ATM, in 20€ of course (smallest one here) and then went to the bank to deposit it :) Here where I live it won't circulate money at one bank as banks don't maintain cash machines, they are managed by Otto.-company and in this city there's money transport company to do that on behalf of Otto.-company. So I believe route is cash machine -> me -> bank -> money transport company (or a person if he/she withdrew money in the bank) -> cash machine / bank etc. randomly -> etc.

I also try never use 5€ notes on small purchases, I even try to keep always enough coins to maximize change, for example if it's 7.40 I pay 22.40 if I've got coins. Few times the cashier has looked she thinks I'm not okay but I don't care :D Then I spend 5 € on bigger purchase, it's not long ago when I paid 60 € by twelve 5€. I don't think this takes any extra effort, maybe I'm lucky but I just "know" how much I need to pay to get notes only without calculating.
User avatar
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1249
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 am
Location: Loulé/Lisboa

Post by BogPoet »

Finn wrote:I also try never use 5€ notes on small purchases, I even try to keep always enough coins to maximize change, for example if it's 7.40 I pay 22.40 if I've got coins. Few times the cashier has looked she thinks I'm not okay but I don't care :D
You'd be happy living in Portugal. That happens all the time around here - cashiers will even ask you to do it (give some more coins so they can give you back only bills) because they never have change!!

:lol: :lol:

8)
Tracking (again) Image
User avatar
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by Annie_in_exile »

Aaron wrote: I'll collect a punch of 5-euro notes before I start my holiday. By the way, Belgians will have a possibility to get a long-distance hit! I'm going to spend the notes in Brussels and Antwerp. I'll be there between 14th and 20th of July.

I'll also visit in several pubs in Brussels. You Belgians will have a good excuse to go out to get tanked up! You can say that you are tracking euro notes. :lol:
Aaron is not back yet, is he? Any sightings of him or his notes? Wonder what he thought of Brussels and whether he saw any cows... MOOOH :D
User avatar
Chiel
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 8:48 pm
Location: Groningen. the Netherlands

Post by Chiel »

Petri6 wrote:So you withdrew some money to register them into ebt, right? But I'm confused that are you going to take them back into the bank without using them? I think that someone said that it would be cheating, I'm not sure. Like you said, ebt is kind of an game, but I think that everybody should make their own rules and do what they think is right. As long as you follow some basic rules.
I don't think it is cheating. It is the same as when a Eurobilltracker would work at the bank and register all the notes that passed by. Or if you would ask (very unlikely) if you could do that for the people at the bank.
In my opinion it is not cheating, it is just taking some money out of circulation, registering it, and putting it back in circulation exactly where you took it from.
Money in hand, that´s buying / Penger i hånden, det er kjøp --- Erlend Loe
User avatar
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by Annie_in_exile »

I haven't answered to the original question either, so here goes:

If it's your own money, you can do whatever you want with it. If somebody has the time and interest to do so, why not? Running the risk of the clerks thinking you're crazy (obviously they can see the traffic on your account) but hey, if you don't mind, go for it. Who are we to judge?
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”