Special Bills

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Post by airis »

They were in good shape. That ATM isn´t in a bank. It is in a supermarket. Well, the same firm fills (I think) all Finnish ATM's.

I haven´t got foreign notes from any other ATM. I have got an Italian, Spanish and three French 20 euro notes from it.
I think they came to Finland with a tourist. He or she bought something with them. The shop brought them to bank. A firm that fills the ATM`s, took those bills to that ATM and I got them.

I must admit that I first thougt I had made a mistake. I added the numbers and got number 5 with both bills.

Or do You believe that they were put into circulation first time here in Finland? Are the national banks mixing the bills allready? :?
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

airis wrote: Or do You believe that they were put into circulation first time here in Finland? Are the national banks mixing the bills allready? :?
I think at the beginning, the banks used their "national" funds. After the summer, there will be millions of notes in the south of Europe (Europeans usually go to the south for the vacations). A logisitic program has already been decided by the european central bank to bring back some bills to the north.
I am sure they will not take the time to separate each bill and bring back the french bills to France, the finnish bills to Finland, etc...
The BIG MIX is coming! :D :D :D

I am more sceptic about the bills of 100€, 200€, 500€ ... I don't think they are used much. They won't move as much as the 5€ bills do...

O.
Last edited by Olivier on Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Post by airis »

Olivier wrote:
The BIG MIX is coming! :D :D :D

O.
Should we think the euro being a migrating currency. Summer in south, winter in north. I don´t believe their shape will stay good enough in those summer resorts. :roll:
I bet they must bring brand new Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Greek notes instead.
Anyway notes still travel. :wink:
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

airis wrote: Should we think the euro being a migrating currency. Summer in south, winter in north.
Well, I know that some american states gets millions of notes for the summer: Florida, California... and the federal bank organizes everyhting to prevent some states from needing notes.
airis wrote:I don´t believe their shape will stay good enough in those summer resorts. :roll:
I bet they must bring brand new Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Greek notes instead.
Anyway notes still travel. :wink:
Notes smelling the suntan lotion and the spanish strand... notes stained by italian tomatoes sauce (or a french wine)... :)

Those notes would have a story to tell! (that's why I like to read the commentaries of the notes on the site)

O.
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

Olivier wrote: Notes smelling the suntan lotion and the spanish strand... notes stained by italian tomatoes sauce (or a french wine)... :)
Notes that smell like garlic or oregano,
notes that taste :P like ocean saltwater or washing powder...
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

micro wrote:
Olivier wrote: Notes smelling the suntan lotion and the spanish strand... notes stained by italian tomatoes sauce (or a french wine)... :)
Notes that smell like garlic or oregano,
notes that taste :P like ocean saltwater or washing powder...

:D :D :D
(SIGH)

O.
Drachenwald
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:05 pm
Location: Athens,Greece

Belgian 50-euro bills in Greece

Post by Drachenwald »

airis wrote:
Or do You believe that they were put into circulation first time here in Finland? Are the national banks mixing the bills allready? :?
Actually here in Greece we are getting lots of 50 euro bills from Belgium (Z serial numbers.) I get them crisp and in serial order out of ATMs so I think that the banks ran out of Greek 50? bills and got some from the european reserves.
User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Re: Belgian 50-euro bills in Greece

Post by airis »

Drachenwald wrote:
airis wrote:
Or do You believe that they were put into circulation first time here in Finland? Are the national banks mixing the bills allready? :?
Actually here in Greece we are getting lots of 50 euro bills from Belgium (Z serial numbers.) I get them crisp and in serial order out of ATMs so I think that the banks ran out of Greek 50? bills and got some from the european reserves.
Yes, you are right. It shows both in Greek bill list and diffusion chart. Where have Greek 50 euro bills gone then? To Kosovo, Macedonia? Or do Greeks prefer having money home instead of bank?
Or didn't they print enough? Just wondering.

I checked the Finnish bill list too. No sign of unusually many French notes.
Not many users in my hometown though. :?

BTW Olivier and Micro :lol: You got my point. I have heard that also the British and Scandinavian tourists tend to get a bit grazy under the Mediterranean sun. Hope they learn to love our money. :wink:
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

Olivier wrote:
micro wrote:
Olivier wrote:Notes smelling the suntan lotion and the spanish strand... notes stained by italian tomatoes sauce (or a french wine)... :)
Notes that smell like garlic or oregano,
notes that taste :P like ocean saltwater or washing powder...
:D :D :D
(SIGH)
O.
Notes with a swatted (flattened) mosquito on it (from Finland :twisted: )
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by emmem »

airis wrote:Speaking about serial numbers. I once got two French 20 euro notes from an ATM. I entered the bills into database. Then I looked the serial numbers and noticed that only one number was different.
I guess the numbers that where different where 0 and 9. Am I right?
User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Post by airis »

micro wrote: Notes with a swatted (flattened) mosquito on it (from Finland :twisted: )
:lol: I am immune to mosquitos. I don´t often even notice, when they are biting.
Thanks to millions of bites over the years. But those poor tourists. Red blood spots on bills.
8O

BTW Have you noticed? Another user using name micro from Hamburg registered today. Shouldn´t nicknames be protected someway?

Yes emmem, you are right. Is 0 and 9 the only possibility or how did you know? A math genious? :wink:

:) Terkkuja Craftillekin.
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

micro wrote:
Olivier wrote:
micro wrote:
Olivier wrote:Notes smelling the suntan lotion and the spanish strand... notes stained by italian tomatoes sauce (or a french wine)... :)
Notes that smell like garlic or oregano,
notes that taste :P like ocean saltwater or washing powder...
:D :D :D
(SIGH)
O.
Notes with a swatted (flattened) mosquito on it (from Finland :twisted: )
:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by emmem »

airis wrote:Yes emmem, you are right. Is 0 and 9 the only possibility or how did you know? A math genious? :wink:
Yes. 0 and 9 are the only possibilities.

Since there is a checksum on the bills it means that the difference between two bills, with the same country code, is always a multiple of 9. The only multiples of 9 that can cause only one digit to differ are 9, 90, 900, … and 90000000000. And the first digit has to be 0. If you add 1 and 9 you get 10, 2 and 9 gives 11 and so on. Something different from 0 will cause different 2 digits.

I bet the difference was in one of the last digits (not the last because a bill never end with zero). Uxxxxxxxxx0x or Uxxxxxxxx0xx?

I'm not realy a math genious... :?
Just a genious. 8) ... :lol:
User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Post by airis »

emmem wrote: I bet the difference was in one of the last digits (not the last because a bill never end with zero). Uxxxxxxxxx0x or Uxxxxxxxx0xx?
Right again. It was Uxxxxxxxxx0x. :)
User avatar
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1223
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Post by micro »

airis wrote: BTW Have you noticed? Another user using name micro from Hamburg registered today. Shouldn´t nicknames be protected someway?
That's just me! I didn't register bills for a couple of weeks and lost my old username & password :oops:
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”