Entering several bills at a time
Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus
-
EuroBillTracker
- Euro-Expert

- Posts: 704
- Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
- Location: Paris, France
- Contact:
This is actually quite truebyrnefm wrote:I just had a look at avij's proposed layout - I agree too - it looks great! It will particularly help ease the load on the eurobilltracker server as the forms will only be submitted when all the bills are entered - meaning a faster site too!
One thing I'm sort of worried about is that people may enter lots of bills with a single zip/city/country when it shoul dbe different but oh well...
Maybe, if they came home from traveling. Maybe a hint on the page could prevent them of doing so.EuroBillTracker wrote: One thing I'm sort of worried about is that people may enter lots of bills with a single zip/city/country when it shoul dbe different but oh well...
After adjusting the layout a little, the page looks a bit better again. I also put some dummy help text in. But I couldn't find the bug that makes the shortcode disappear
-
EuroBillTracker
- Euro-Expert

- Posts: 704
- Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
- Location: Paris, France
- Contact:
Did you notice that each line is no longer aligned ? And there is more space between the form elements...micro wrote: After adjusting the layout a little, the page looks a bit better again. I also put some dummy help text in. But I couldn't find the bug that makes the shortcode disappear, maybe Avji can help as it might be in his code. But I found out that the bug appears only with Netscape 6, not IE
. The page is here: http://microcoins.yoll.net/temp/index.html.
Another thing, for the copy&past thing, we can't make the separator a space or a hyphen since some city names use those !
I don't see that in my browsers. I think the layout is up to you, the sample page was just a suggestion.EuroBillTracker wrote: Did you notice that each line is no longer aligned ? And there is more space between the form elements...
But the city name won't be pasted in the textarea, am I right? The delimiters work only for what is pasted in the textarea. In case you want to change the delimiters just search for function tokenize in the sourcecode. There is is a String variable "delimiters" with all the delimiter characters.Another thing, for the copy&past thing, we can't make the separator a space or a hyphen since some city names use those !
-
EuroBillTracker
- Euro-Expert

- Posts: 704
- Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
- Location: Paris, France
- Contact:
Ok... I'm tired these days !!micro wrote:But the city name won't be pasted in the textarea, am I right? The delimiters work only for what is pasted in the textarea. In case you want to change the delimiters just search for function tokenize in the sourcecode. There is is a String variable "delimiters" with all the delimiter characters.Another thing, for the copy&past thing, we can't make the separator a space or a hyphen since some city names use those !
- Edwin
- Euro-Regular in Training

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:08 pm
- Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Re: Entering several bills at a time
I've just looked at your site, and that of Micro, and must say that I really liked this, and hope they will end up in EBT.avij wrote:However, there's always room for improvementI spent this evening designing an easy-to-use form for entering dozens of bills at a time. You can see that form at http://miuku.net/misc/massinsert.html
Any comments? JavaScript is not my native language, so you may want to double-check the code. It works fine with MSIE6 and NS7, your mileage may vary. I'd be happy if some of that code was incorporated to EBT
-
EuroBillTracker
- Euro-Expert

- Posts: 704
- Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
- Location: Paris, France
- Contact:
Re: Entering several bills at a time
I've started... it's just going to take a while to do all the error handling cleanly... oh dear...Edwin wrote: I've just looked at your site, and that of Micro, and must say that I really liked this, and hope they will end up in EBT.
I'll defintaly have it done during my vacation in july so expect to see it mid july for sure
- avij
- Forum Moderator

- Posts: 6192
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
- Location: Helsinki Finland
- Contact:
Re: Entering several bills at a time
Oh, take your time -- it's just a hobby after allEuroBillTracker wrote:it's just going to take a while to do all the error handling cleanly... oh dear...
One thing I'm sort of worried about is that people may enter lots of bills with a single zip/city/country
I have made some of the corrections people have suggested, please have a look at http://miuku.net/misc/massinsert3.html and tell me what you think.
List of changes include (in HTML source code order)
- some new CSS classes for various note colours
- there's a body onLoad handler that sets the focus to the first row and validates all the data that's currently on the form in case of a reload -- otherwise the field backgrounds would sometimes be white instead of the correct colour
- the denomination fields are now coloured according to the colour of the actual bill
- the excellent offline list code has been stolen from micro
(with minor tweaks) - offline list thingy checks for duplicate serial numbers and won't overwrite existing form entries
- offline list thingy jumps to the top of form after the notes have been TRANSFERred for further validation by the user
- some help texts have been blatantly stolen from micro as well
- there are now two submit ("GO") buttons on the page, along with some description. I removed the warning that "the notes won't be sent anywhere" but it was just a cosmetic change -- they are still not sent anywhere.
- checked that the page conforms to HTML 4.01 transitional using validator.w3.org
Not unusual, but sometimes it causes some confusion ("hey, what's the difference between this submit button and the other?"). I came across this problem when I wrote a similar two-submit-button page for our intranet.micro wrote:I think it's not unusual to have a GO button below AND (directly!) above a form.
I'm somewhat concerned that this feature won't work without JavaScript -- the other JS on that page isn't strictly required. But I suppose JavaScript is an acceptable solution to this problem.micro wrote:JavaScript can then parse the text and fill it into the regular textboxes.
Congratulations, the first page you posted managed to BSOD my NT4+MSIE6 machine at homemicro wrote:The page is located here and contains a ..
I can't seem to reproduce the problem, works fine with my MSIE6 and NS7pr1micro wrote:After clicking the button twice the shortcode boxes get empty, I don't know why.
- emmem
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 974
- Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
- Location: Brussels
- Contact:
I noticed the feature for changing the background color in a form element was not implemented in Opera (even not in the latest version 6.03).
I was planing to adapt the massinsert code to insert some small pictures behind every field. But other matters grabbed my attention.
The idea is to preload 3 pictures (or maybe some more for the bills). One for when nothing is entered (?) one for a valid entry (v) and one for an erroneous entry (x). When validating the form every image could then be changed to the according picture.
I was planing to adapt the massinsert code to insert some small pictures behind every field. But other matters grabbed my attention.
The idea is to preload 3 pictures (or maybe some more for the bills). One for when nothing is entered (?) one for a valid entry (v) and one for an erroneous entry (x). When validating the form every image could then be changed to the according picture.
