Olivier wrote:
]Yes but we are so rich compared to them... We can't compare.
Yes, you're right. There's 1:1 replica of the White House in China, build by a private person, or his own company. There's 1:1 replica of certain parts of Amsterdam (I think) in other place of China, again non-governmental production.
I still haven't heard about replica of the Forbidden City in Europe or USA. Probably Las Vegas has imitation of about everything but still...
Anyway, isn't it quite typical prophecy of sci-fi literature that there'll be a global currency, I think even B5 had it. I think there's usually a strong central/global government which doesn't like too much about the opposition in same stories...
If 1€ goes upto e.g. 1.2$ Nokia probably hates it and Motorola loves. As a Finn this is very automatic note one makes, even if he doesn't own a single share of Nokia.
Well, it happened! The Euro is over parity with the dollar. The last time I checked 1 EUR = 1.0077 USD.
Maybe the moderator can change the title of this thread to 1€; > $1.
On a lighter note: I was watching Harvey Birdman last night (it is a cartoon for adults using animation from 70s cartoons). He is a superhero-lawyer. There was a scene in a bar after his court case where he was talking with another lawyer who is paranoid about world domination. One of the things the paranoid lawyer said was "there will be a world currency!"
Harvey replies: "World currency! You're crazy!" He then proceeds to ask the bartender how much his bill was and starts counting out "one euro, two euros, ..."
esperantisto wrote:
On a lighter note: I was watching Harvey Birdman last night (it is a cartoon for adults using animation from 70s cartoons). He is a superhero-lawyer. There was a scene in a bar after his court case where he was talking with another lawyer who is paranoid about world domination. One of the things the paranoid lawyer said was "there will be a world currency!"
Harvey replies: "World currency! You're crazy!" He then proceeds to ask the bartender how much his bill was and starts counting out "one euro, two euros, ..."
The newspapers all give the value of the USdollar + the euro, in Canada. The euro has become very easily the second most important currency of the world. Just 2 years old, and already so big!