The New Seven Wonders

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

User avatar
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Post by Poutsi »

My choice would be at least (I didn't check if these are on the list or not):

- The Great Wall of China
- Pyramids of Giza
- Taj Mahal
- Empire State Building
- Terracotta Army
- The Internet

Good candidates:
- Vatican City
- Acropolis
- Machu Piccu
- Golden Gate Bridge of San Francisco
- Channel Tunnel

edit: added a couple of candidates
Last edited by Poutsi on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
User avatar
demontventoux
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1233
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Haaltert, Belgium

Post by demontventoux »

-Great wall in China
-Acropolis
-Angkor
-Easter Island Statues
-Taj Mahal

PS: I think It's stupid to vote for the Pyramids in Giza because they already are a worldwonder..... :roll:
Collecting euro-coins and want to swap with me? Check this topic!!
Latest coin update: 04/09/2017
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

demontventoux wrote:-Great wall in China
-Acropolis
-Angkor
-Easter Island Statues
-Taj Mahal

PS: I think It's stupid to vote for the Pyramids in Giza because they already are a worldwonder..... :roll:
I don't. For the reasons I've mentioned some messages above.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Titania_eu
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Amadora, Portugal
Contact:

Post by Titania_eu »

Stonehenge

Neuschwanstein Castle

The Great Wall of China

Machu Picchu

The Acropolis

Easter Island Statues

(This was my choice and I'm looking forward to seeing the great show in Lisbon! :wink: )
User avatar
pepitopulpito
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 12070
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:56 pm
Location: Tres Cantos, Spain

Post by pepitopulpito »

Dakkus wrote:alhambra.. According to the image it's "quite normal", but unfortunately I don't know much anything at all about this. But doesn't look very wonderous.
Man, you have to go there... Meanwhile take a look here

BTW, I choose

Alhambra, of course 8)
Angkor
Chichen Itza
Great Wall
Machu Pichu
Petra
Taj Mahal


Stonehedge, Eiffel Tower, Liberty Statue, Sidney Theatre... Can't compare to the others!
¡Participa! Speel mee! Participez! Take part in! Spiel mit!
:flag-eu: EBT WhatPulse Team :flag-eu:
User avatar
JP Simões
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9709
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:13 pm

Post by JP Simões »

There's great excitement here as we should be getting the first results through any minute now.
De férias por período indeterminado...
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: NW · DE · EU

Post by tabbs »

I don't know ... On one hand it was certainly a nice idea to try and pick the new "Seven Wonders" from all around the world. After all, the old ones were in a relatively small part of that world.

Then again, the entire contest and the voting procedure were a little strange. Unesco stated on Friday (ie. before the results were published) that "The list of the '7 New Wonders of the World' will be the result of a private undertaking, reflecting only the opinions of those with access to the internet and not the entire world." http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ ... N=201.html

Well, there was also the option to vote via phone AFAIK, and after all quite a few people participated - about 100 million worldwide. But still, in order to vote (a) you had to be aware of that "competition", and (b) you had to be technically able to vote. Must admit that, given these circumstances, I prefer Unesco's World Heritage list over such "wonders". ;)

Christian
User avatar
sen-chuan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4433
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: Jesolo (Venezia)
Contact:

Post by sen-chuan »

So, no Venice in the list. This is a wonder indeed.
[EBTCkeck - my EBT Stats aggiornamento/updating: 18.09.2026
User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4933
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Post by Jes »

Dakkus wrote:
alhambra.. According to the image it's "quite normal", but unfortunately I don't know much anything at all about this. But doesn't look very wonderous.

Taj Mahal.. Naa.. Somehow it feels too "normal" after all.
COME TO SPAIN AND SEE THE ALHAMBRA!!! :D I think it is "wonderful" as well as the Taj Mahal! (well, I know that the seven wonders have been already choosen... I WAS IN PETRA THAT DAY!!!)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”