In France, the most commonly used name is MARTIN.
The most used first name for the men is Michel and for the women Nathalie. There are thousands and thousands of Michel Martin and Nathalie Martin in France.
What is the most commonly used name in your country?
In Finland the most common surname is Virtanen.
All time favorite names are Juhani for men and Maria for women.
For babies born 2001 the most popular first names are Eetu for boys and Laura for girls.
I'm not tottaly sure, but I think the most common surname here is Silva, first name for men José (or maybe António) and for women Maria, like in Finland
PS: for young girls, well from 0 - 21 years old, the most common name is definitly Ana.
pinguino79 wrote:Most common surname in Italy is Rossi (which means "reds").
I'll check for some stats and I'll tell you about most common names (have really no idea).
Because most users of this forum are addicted to stats, it could be a good idea to give the number that your surname is counted in Belgium and The Netherlands.
There is a similar site for France:http://www.cartedefrance.tm.fr/, but it counts the number of births for each name. (4714 for me, almost all in Alsace). And there were two participants in the French Revolution with my name (very helpful information! )
My family name is rather rare, there are currently 11 male and 16 female persons in the whole wide world who carry it (proudly, I hope). None of them participated in the French revolution, though. Then there's an anecdote with my grandma: she was widowed at the age of 25 when she already had a couple of children. She found herself a virile new husband, 18 years of age, and they had some more children together. The interesting part here is that the whole family kept or took the name of the first husband. I guess my grandma liked the name so much that she didn't want to change it, and the young new husband had nothing to say on this matter.