Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, lmviterbo, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99

User avatar
Burky
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 760
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Wien, Austria

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna

Post by Burky »

Annie_in_exile wrote:August is still far away, but I know it'll be a bit problematic to arrange any extra days off then. Therefore, although I'll do my best to be there the whole prolonged weekend, I'd like to know what I'll miss if I can't make it on Thursday or Friday.

And again, the organising committee seems to be trustworthy and enthusiastic and I know you'll do it anyway, but would you please publish even a rough plan as soon as you know it? Is the Bratislava trip included in the basic program, or does it require an extra day?
As far as we can tell now, a visit at the OeNB will only be possible while they have office times - which is Thursday or Friday. According to that the trip to Bratislava will be on Friday or Saturday...
Please understand that we do not publish a timetable while sorting things and visits out.

Burky for the Committee
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2239
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:52 am
Location: Helden, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna

Post by MDeen »

Burky wrote: As far as we can tell now, a visit at the OeNB will only be possible while they have office times - which is Thursday or Friday. According to that the trip to Bratislava will be on Friday or Saturday...
Please understand that we do not publish a timetable while sorting things and visits out.

Burky for the Committee
Just to be clear: this means that there is a chance that Thursday is not just Thursday evening (welcome barbeque, hint :wink: ) but could also mean Thursday during the day?
User avatar
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna

Post by Annie_in_exile »

Burky wrote:As far as we can tell now, a visit at the OeNB will only be possible while they have office times - which is Thursday or Friday. According to that the trip to Bratislava will be on Friday or Saturday...
Please understand that we do not publish a timetable while sorting things and visits out.
Thanks! I do understand the situation with OeNB and how it affects other parts of the program, and like I said, I trust you to publish the plan as soon as all the pieces of the puzzle have found their place. It's just that sometimes it's also a bit difficult to separate the pre- and post-meeting agenda from the official one, and one may have booked their flights quite early on, only to hear that something interesting is happening as you're flying to/from the official meeting. But guys, I've seen your spirit and attitude towards this meeting and believe that we're in good hands.
User avatar
Burky
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 760
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Wien, Austria

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna

Post by Burky »

MDeen wrote:Just to be clear: this means that there is a chance that Thursday is not just Thursday evening (welcome barbeque, hint :wink: ) but could also mean Thursday during the day?
To sort that out: We are planning to have something going on on Thursday afternoon :!: Maybe not barbeque :wink:
User avatar
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 20032
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:49 am
Location: Rotterdam (NL)
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna

Post by eddydevries »

Crazy Bob wrote:For anyone wanting to fly to Vienna: if you book this Saturday (February 14), Austrian offers a further 20% discount on airfares! See this link for further details.

Offer appears to be valid on all Austrian-operated flights!
I've booked my flights and my stays:
From: Amsterdam Schiphol
To: Vienna International
Departure: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:30 (local time)
Arrival: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 12:30 (local time)
Flight: OS 372 Tyrolean Airways (VO)

Return flight
From: Vienna International
To: Amsterdam Schiphol
Departure: Thursday, August 27, 2009 19:40 (local time)
Arrival: Thursday, August 27, 2009 21:45 (local time)
Flight: OS 377 Tyrolean Airways (VO)
I'll stay at the Westend City Hostel (near Westbahnhof) these days (18-27 August).

I know, it's for a long period, but I'd like not only to see the sights of Vienna, but also to visit all the districts too 8) .
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
User avatar
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7434
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by Crazy Bob »

My days off have been approved today, so I'll be there! Probably arriving on Wednesday the 19th, and probably at least until the 24th. 8)
User avatar
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by Annie_in_exile »

*hit. It seems that out of possible 5-6 people in our team at work, I'll be the only one working in August... therefore getting extra days off will be almost impossible. :? However, I mentioned in our team meeting this week that even having a free Friday would help me but the boss can't guarantee that yet. I wonder if I should take the risk and book two separate flights: out of Brussels on Thursday night (it's still rather cheap) and then if I can't use the first option, I'd book another for Friday night or even Saturday morning. And then I'd have to return anyway on Sunday night. Grrrr.
User avatar
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 1:28 pm
Location: Spenge.HF.OWL.NRW.DE.EU
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by wisi »

Ok, after I had to skip the winter meeting :cry: time to look forward to the vienna meeting. My days off have been approved already and I have now booked a hotel room from Wednesday to Monday here: http://www.quartier24.at/
User avatar
LonaPo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Maribor, Slovenia, EU (2004)
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna

Post by LonaPo »

eddydevries wrote: I'll stay at the Westend City Hostel (near Westbahnhof) these days (18-27 August).

I know, it's for a long period, but I'd like not only to see the sights of Vienna, but also to visit all the districts too 8) .

I think I'll stay here too ;)

Edit: 19.08.09 - 23.08.09 (it was not free so that we colud stay till 24.8 :( )
Last edited by LonaPo on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://b100w11.sli.si/Lonapo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pet26644
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:43 pm

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by pet26644 »

wisi wrote:Ok, after I had to skip the winter meeting :cry: time to look forward to the vienna meeting. My days off have been approved already and I have now booked a hotel room from Wednesday to Monday here: http://www.quartier24.at/
I have booked there also lookes nice!
User avatar
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 1:28 pm
Location: Spenge.HF.OWL.NRW.DE.EU
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by wisi »

Well, to emphasize why I have choosen this hotel: Single room for 38 Eur/night (which seems ok for a *** house), free wifi, small kitchen with fridge in the room (so I can buy some bread, cheese etc. to have my breakfasts) and good access via public transport. Even in the nights you get there with a 15-minutes schedule from the city by nightbus (you can take N60 or N62, one stop is 200m south of the hotel, the other one 100m north or south 200m). Well, the disadvantage is that you have to pay with credit card and there is no breakfast in this hotel. But, I will survive this :)
pet26644
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:43 pm

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by pet26644 »

wisi wrote:Well, to emphasize why I have choosen this hotel: Single room for 38 Eur/night (which seems ok for a *** house), free wifi, small kitchen with fridge in the room (so I can buy some bread, cheese etc. to have my breakfasts) and good access via public transport. Even in the nights you get there with a 15-minutes schedule from the city by nightbus (you can take N60 or N62, one stop is 200m south of the hotel, the other one 100m north or south 200m). Well, the disadvantage is that you have to pay with credit card and there is no breakfast in this hotel. But, I will survive this :)
It was the same reason why i booked there also.. Cheap.. and looks very nice.. Thank you for tipping!
User avatar
wally2cv
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:03 pm
Location: Stad Hamont(51°15´3´´ N 5° 32´29´´ E)
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by wally2cv »

PSV-Fan since 1970

Eppur si muove (Theme 11th worldmeeting of 2cv-friends Ptuj, Slovenia 1995)
Cobbdouglas
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 pm
Location: Wien (Vienna), Austria

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by Cobbdouglas »

wisi wrote:Well, to emphasize why I have choosen this hotel: Single room for 38 Eur/night (which seems ok for a *** house), free wifi, small kitchen with fridge in the room (so I can buy some bread, cheese etc. to have my breakfasts) and good access via public transport. Even in the nights you get there with a 15-minutes schedule from the city by nightbus (you can take N60 or N62, one stop is 200m south of the hotel, the other one 100m north or south 200m). Well, the disadvantage is that you have to pay with credit card and there is no breakfast in this hotel. But, I will survive this :)
I don't know this place and according to the webpage it looks like a good deal but I just wanted to add that the hotel is quite outside the city center and the access via public access is ok but not the best. In fact you will have to take a tram to get to the closest underground stop and continue from there with the underground to get to the city center. Public transport in Vienna is good working so there is hardly no hotel in Vienna with a real bad access, I just wanted to point out that I would not consider the access via public transport as a reason to stay at this specific place.

At the same time, this location got another not yet stated advantage, if you travel by car you are allowed to park your car (for free and without any general restrictions) in this part of Vienna. This is not the case for any location in the districts 1 and 4 to 9 and not in most parts of the districts 2, 3 and 20. And most hotels/hostels are in these districts.
User avatar
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 1:28 pm
Location: Spenge.HF.OWL.NRW.DE.EU
Contact:

Re: Summer EBTM09 in Vienna Aug 20-23 2009

Post by wisi »

Cobbdouglas wrote:
I don't know this place and according to the webpage it looks like a good deal but I just wanted to add that the hotel is quite outside the city center and the access via public access is ok but not the best. In fact you will have to take a tram to get to the closest underground stop and continue from there with the underground to get to the city center. Public transport in Vienna is good working so there is hardly no hotel in Vienna with a real bad access, I just wanted to point out that I would not consider the access via public transport as a reason to stay at this specific place.
Well, what I meant was in particular the nightbus thing - you may choose the lines N60 and N62. One starts at every 15/45 minutes in the nights, the other at 00/30 - at many other places you have only one lines and thus have to wait in the worst case for alomost half an hour for the next bus.
And there are two other options to go from this place to the city center: There is a direct tram line running into the center (Line 62), which is indeed slower than taking the 60 and than the U4, but might be more convenient. The other option is to take the "Schellbahn" S15 from the nearby train station Speising and than the U4, but those trains run only twice a hour.
Locked

Return to “International EBT-meetings”