how is the distance calculated?

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

Post Reply
brunorodrigues
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:35 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Contact:

how is the distance calculated?

Post by brunorodrigues »

how is the distance between two cities being calculated? I remember somehow seeing on the foruns something about a longitude/latitude city database... some of my hits are still at 0 km. let me know if you need any data...
User avatar
Wouter1
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:12 pm
Location: Oegstgeest, NL
Contact:

Re: how is the distance calculated?

Post by Wouter1 »

brunorodrigues wrote:some of my hits are still at 0 km. let me know if you need any data...
HITS as in more than one?? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

How many hits do you have?
With how many notes entered?
Want to know everything about German watches? JUST CLICK and go to the >>> GermanWatchesForum
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Re: how is the distance calculated?

Post by EuroBillTracker »

brunorodrigues wrote:how is the distance between two cities being calculated? I remember somehow seeing on the foruns something about a longitude/latitude city database... some of my hits are still at 0 km. let me know if you need any data...
well... we use www.maporama.com to get coordinates. Unfotunatly, it gives coordinate down to cities only for portugal so, any bill found within the same city will show 0km... if you have data down to the zip code, we could add it to the db and get correct distances
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 12:23 pm
Location: Meppel, Drenthe, NL

Re: how is the distance calculated?

Post by wouter »

Wouter1 wrote:
brunorodrigues wrote:some of my hits are still at 0 km. let me know if you need any data...
HITS as in more than one?? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

How many hits do you have?
With how many notes entered?
there is a number of hits of brunorodrigues on the hitlist as being false hits, they are moderated like this one
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... &id=316277
or
http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php ... &id=312249

there seems to be a increase of false hits in portugal since all the new users came :evil: , but it hopefuly something temporary
The Force is like Duck-tape, it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together.
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Re: how is the distance calculated?

Post by EuroBillTracker »

wouter wrote: there seems to be a increase of false hits in portugal since all the new users came :evil: , but it hopefuly something temporary
Sure... I think the main reason is that nowhere on the site does it yet say, please do not enter bills entered by people you know have entered them... I should really do that !
User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by emmem »

EuroBillTracker wrote:
wouter wrote: there seems to be a increase of false hits in portugal since all the new users came :evil: , but it hopefuly something temporary
Sure... I think the main reason is that nowhere on the site does it yet say, please do not enter bills entered by people you know have entered them... I should really do that !
I don’t entirely agree with this. I don(t know any people who enter notes into EBT yet. But if I did and I got a not from that person in my hands, I still like to know in the future if someone else enters it later.

But I completely agree it is a hit that has to be moderated.

What I think should be forbidden is to intentionally exchange notes with people that enter them into EBT too. Maybe I should alter my proposal for user guidelines a bit in that way.
brunorodrigues
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:35 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Contact:

Re: how is the distance calculated?

Post by brunorodrigues »

Wouter1 wrote:
HITS as in more than one?? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

How many hits do you have?
With how many notes entered?
I've got about 200 notes entered. And I had (the last time I remember) 3 (three) hits. Two of them were two 5 euro bills I gave a friend of mine who is not registered on EBT. Unfortunately (or not?) two of his best friends (mine too), a housemate and her boyfriend are EBT users and got the notes from him, just like they would get any other note. Of course they registered the notes on EBT and therefore the double hit. Being able to preview the note progress took all interest from these hits, so I wouldn't consider them as valid.

The third hit came few days later, when a new user probably seen one of my URL marked notes and registered (and I have no idea who the f*** he is), but the fact he's staying at the same place I am took all the fun for it and all the credit for the hit with it. I would surely prefer 200 km or more separated hits, but... what the hell...

Perhaps we should impose a rule. Hits like mine are hard to verify if they're true or fake. Coincidences happen. But hits should only be validated if they were separated by some pre-defined time-lapse and space-lapse.

wadda you think?
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:53 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by EuroBillTracker »

emmem wrote:
EuroBillTracker wrote:
wouter wrote: there seems to be a increase of false hits in portugal since all the new users came :evil: , but it hopefuly something temporary
Sure... I think the main reason is that nowhere on the site does it yet say, please do not enter bills entered by people you know have entered them... I should really do that !
I don’t entirely agree with this. I don(t know any people who enter notes into EBT yet. But if I did and I got a not from that person in my hands, I still like to know in the future if someone else enters it later.
I see your point, I hadn't thought of it this way yet...
What I think should be forbidden is to intentionally exchange notes with people that enter them into EBT too. Maybe I should alter my proposal for user guidelines a bit in that way.
I've added the guideline as is to the translation tool... I'd forgotten about it, sorry ! It's been a long time !
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”