EuroBillTracker wrote:I see absolutly no reason for you to use this communitie's forum to advertise your own site.
sorry for advertising and thank you for not deleting all of my posting. But it wasn't meant as advertising. It was meant as a response to
1. proposals by EBT-users to "unite the forces" of our two sites, and
2. the email-offer by one of the EBT webmasters to cooperate (s. the quoted EBT-forum track for the "history").
You and your users asked me to cooperate - and I'm not against cooperation. But no cooperation without coexistence
EuroBillTracker wrote:I also do not agree with your theory of false hits. Our hit list is very moderated and I have in fact confirmed via emails the most interesting hits so I have to respectfully disagree with you here.
I don't have a theory about false hits, only an opinion about hits:
1. On my site, any "real" hit is welcome. By "real" I mean: two different persons (with different user names) register the same note at two sufficiently different times (and hopefully at different locations); "same note" means: note with same serial number and same value. [According to the ECB, on X-notes of the German NCB the same serial number might appear on all 7 denominations, while some other NCB encodes the value into the serial number.]
2. On EBT, only "random" hits are welcome. By "random" I mean that there is no relationship between the two users and both users have picked the note randomly out of the circulation, registered it and gave it back to the circulation.
3. My personal opinion about hits is, that I like "artificial" hits in the sense of my earlier posting: they generate a sociogram of a community. The notes are actually "tokens" which are carried around to related persons, not "money" with a certain value, with the additional advantage that the token is uniquely identfiable by its serial number.
But as I said, I have nothing against "random" hits and I admire the EBT community's effort to ensure randomness by monitoring.
EuroBillTracker wrote:I'd like the hundreds of hours spent on this project to be worth my time.
I understand, not only because it holds true for the webmasters of all the other sites
EuroBillTracker wrote:So, to repeat myself, I see no reason whatsoever to send users from this site (the number 1 site!) to other sites in whatever capacity. It doesn't make sense for the site and it doesn't even make sense for them.
Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here. I don't want to lure EBT users to switch to my site. They should stay here and continue to build the EBT community - of which I am a part as long as you don't throw me out.
All I want is to exchange euro note data. The users can stay where they prefer.
You see, your site doesn't give me the data of the notes I need, when I want to check something like: All N-notes of printer F have a "0" as the third digit of the serial number. How do I "prove" this on your site? No way. On my site your execute the retrieval "Serial number REGEXP 'N..[^0]'" and "Printer code LIKE 'F%'" - with the result that only one note is found (it has a "9" as the third digit, probably a typo for a "0" which didn't alter the checksum so it could pass the insert-tests) compared to 825 N-notes of F with a "0". And so on: at my site you can retrieve all kind of data as you like, but I stop here in order not to advertise ...
One model of cooperation by data exchange would be that the receiving site checks and monitors the incoming notes (and notifies the own site's users in case a hit note was received) as if they were inserted manually, while doing nothing with the notes or the users of the giving site. So, every site has to keep itself clean as it does anyway, and the unique characteristics, services and policies of each site is kept untouched. Only the pool of notes is shared and thus enlarged, so all users benefit: they can use FME for fast input of notes, EBT for clean hit lists, rankings, community and fun, and ET for data mining, collecting coins and getting background information (sorry again

).
EuroBillTracker wrote:I understand very well what you would benefit from getting access to EBT's database: more bills, more hits, more interest,more users.
more bills: yes
more hits: yes, its nice but thats not my purpose
more interest: yes, but EBT users profit most
more users: no, most will stay at EBT - and why not
EuroBillTracker wrote:I am not sure what EBT would benefit from yours; in fact, like I wrote above; I know that I would have to pay a hefty cost just to do so.
OK, the cost (of programming) is high - but lower than your wonderful Babel (I'm looking forward to the public domain version - I can imagine how difficult it is to juggle with 9 languages since I have 8 myself).
But more important: EBT users would benefit most (s. above). After all, EBT users asked me to consider joining the forces - and certainly not because they wanted to see my site closed.
TC wrote:Indeed, waste time to encode bills one per one... not for me... especially after the advanced form of EBT... and especially too if i am "obliged" to mark all the bills...
Indeed, advanced input is quite a help, that's admitted. But at my site no one is obliged to mark bills. First, marking bills is usually done at wheresgeorge. Second, EBT users discuss and sometimes use marking themselves. And third, marked bill hits are not "false": they are "real" and they are "random" (only the registration as such is "encouraged", but the notes are picked up randomly - by strangers - out of the circulation). And no one is forced to mark notes.
So much for tonight,
Thomas