Consecutive serialnumbers
Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus
-
MDeen
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 2244
- Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:52 am
- Location: Helden, The Netherlands
- Contact:
Consecutive serialnumbers
I got some (well, some more) money from an ATM and I had a lot of 50's with consecutive numbers. Had it before, but not in a while. They were all brand new (started with X1514), so apparently they are still printing new notes (or releasing alreay printed notes)
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
I get 2 notes with consecutive serialnumbers as change sometimes (I think when they just got new notes from the bank)
But a few days ago, my dad had 2 German notes in his wallet with consecutive serials.
Well, I think it's kinda 'special' when you get 2 consecutive foreign notes
But a few days ago, my dad had 2 German notes in his wallet with consecutive serials.
Well, I think it's kinda 'special' when you get 2 consecutive foreign notes
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
I always first insert my notes into my own local MySQL database.
That way I can create some nice scripts to make some stats about my notes.
Your topic here gave me an idea.
2 notes are consecutive if their serial numbers are 9 in difference, and if there country code is the same. (It is theoreticaly possible to even have 2 bills with the same serial number, but from another country... some countries have the same checkup sum.)
So I made a little script that checks my database.
That way I found out I have 18 (so 9 pairs of) notes with consecutive numbers.
In my database, every note has its own ID, and with all of these pairs the ID's are not much different. Most of the time their ID's are even consecutive too.
7 of those pairs are belgian, 1 is french and 1 is german.
I think it would be very nice if 2 notes have consecutive serial numbers, and you inserted them into the database with a lot of time inbetween.
:p
It's like meeting the 'brother' of a note you already entered
That way I can create some nice scripts to make some stats about my notes.
Your topic here gave me an idea.
2 notes are consecutive if their serial numbers are 9 in difference, and if there country code is the same. (It is theoreticaly possible to even have 2 bills with the same serial number, but from another country... some countries have the same checkup sum.)
So I made a little script that checks my database.
That way I found out I have 18 (so 9 pairs of) notes with consecutive numbers.
In my database, every note has its own ID, and with all of these pairs the ID's are not much different. Most of the time their ID's are even consecutive too.
7 of those pairs are belgian, 1 is french and 1 is german.
I think it would be very nice if 2 notes have consecutive serial numbers, and you inserted them into the database with a lot of time inbetween.
:p
It's like meeting the 'brother' of a note you already entered
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
-
thomas
Re: Consecutive serialnumbers
I guess they are already printed ones, since new 50's of 2002 (the plan is to print 742 million 50's this year according to the ECB) will be printed by Belgium, the Netherlands and Spain only, that means - as far as I understand - with letters Z, P and V but not X.MDeen wrote:I got some (well, some more) money from an ATM and I had a lot of 50's with consecutive numbers. Had it before, but not in a while. They were all brand new (started with X1514), so apparently they are still printing new notes (or releasing alreay printed notes)
BTW, among 50's I have
0 notes of X1514
0 notes of X151
12 notes of X15 (all X158 found in Erlangen, SE Germany)
504 notes of X1 (11 of printer R, 493 of printer P), and
1774 notes of X (1278 of printer R, 496 of printer P)
thomas
-
thomas
this is not a good definition, because you get a jump somewhere. The last 3 digits of consecutive serial numbers could be for example:Tiger wrote:2 notes are consecutive if their serial numbers are 9 in difference, and if there country code is the same.
...772
...781
...799 (there is no ...790)
...808
...817
There is no "0" as last digit, by the way.
Therefore, a better definition would be to split the serial number into three parts:
NCB_letter + 10-digit_running_number + parity_digit
and have "consecutive serial number" be defined as "consecutive running number".
That's a nice generalization of "hit": a "near hit"Tiger wrote:It's like meeting the 'brother' of a note you already entered
thomas
-
thomas
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
OK, thanks a lot.
Now I let php check the first 10 digits of the serial.
And if they are consecutive, the notes are consecutive, right ?
Because there are no notes ending on 0, there can't be 2 notes with the same 'first 10 digits'.
I checked my database with the new script, and I still have 9 pairs
Now I let php check the first 10 digits of the serial.
And if they are consecutive, the notes are consecutive, right ?
Because there are no notes ending on 0, there can't be 2 notes with the same 'first 10 digits'.
I checked my database with the new script, and I still have 9 pairs
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
-
thomas
You're welcome - and also right:Tiger wrote:OK, thanks a lot.
Now I let php check the first 10 digits of the serial.
And if they are consecutive, the notes are consecutive, right ?
the last digit is only a parity check (divisibility by 9), so the inner 10 digits make the "real" serial number.
My first notes I withdrew from a bank automat on January 1 and 4 had all consecutive serial numbers
Thomas
- bhoeyb
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4270
- Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
- Location: Herentals - Belgium
- Contact:
Uuuhthomas wrote:maybe something likeTiger wrote:Yep you're right....
But I don't know how to split my number up using php....
I'm just a beginner :p
$ncb_letter = substr($serial, 0, 1);
$running_number = substr($serial, 1, 10);
$parity_digit = substr($serial, 11, 1);
should do it?
Thomas
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
It isn't that hard to make such a database, but I think it's a little too late for you now 
I started with that from my first note, and I always inserted it first into my own database.
Then I had to copy/paste the numbers one by one into EBT.
But since the advanced input script, I made a little script myself that gives me the value, year, serialnr, and shortcode in the correct order.
So now I can copy/paste my notes with 20 at once.
The website I use to register my notes is hosted on my own LAN, on a pc I don't use anymore. There are some other sites running on that machine, and I can even reach it by the Internet when I'm somewhere else.
Its layout sucks, but since I'm the onlyone that gets on my site that isn't such a big problem.
The PHP used for it isn't that hard, it took me only 1 afternoon to make it suitable for my notes.
Actually I used the code from another site I already made.
I was even too laze to change the banner.
I started with that from my first note, and I always inserted it first into my own database.
Then I had to copy/paste the numbers one by one into EBT.
But since the advanced input script, I made a little script myself that gives me the value, year, serialnr, and shortcode in the correct order.
So now I can copy/paste my notes with 20 at once.
The website I use to register my notes is hosted on my own LAN, on a pc I don't use anymore. There are some other sites running on that machine, and I can even reach it by the Internet when I'm somewhere else.
Its layout sucks, but since I'm the onlyone that gets on my site that isn't such a big problem.
The PHP used for it isn't that hard, it took me only 1 afternoon to make it suitable for my notes.
Actually I used the code from another site I already made.
I was even too laze to change the banner.
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese