But I promise: when I'll get my dictionary back I'll post something in Latin (BTW, Antti had a great idea
Latin
Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer
- pinguino79
- Euro-Expert in Training

- Posts: 313
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
- Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU
Back to the topic: I've studied latin for 5 (five!) years, but 5 more years have passed, so I can't write anything now without a dictionary, that I don't have now
But I promise: when I'll get my dictionary back I'll post something in Latin (BTW, Antti had a great idea
)
But I promise: when I'll get my dictionary back I'll post something in Latin (BTW, Antti had a great idea
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
Maybe it sounds weird, but I learn French a lot easier than German 
If I have to speak German, I mostly speak Dutch with a German accent
Or just translate Dutch sentences litterally.
In French you have to follow a completely other way of thinking, it doesn't resemble so much to Dutch, but you can easily recognize words.
If I have to speak German, I mostly speak Dutch with a German accent
Or just translate Dutch sentences litterally.
In French you have to follow a completely other way of thinking, it doesn't resemble so much to Dutch, but you can easily recognize words.
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Finally we are gettingto the subject after some talks about globalisation etc.(off-topic in an off-topic discussion
) I was sure there must be some others here as well who study or have studied latin. I'm not an expert in latin, because I've studied it only for less than three years, though it feels much longer.
And when I wrote my opening comment in both languages I had to change the english version all the time to make it match the latin text, just in case someone could understand it. And I had to use my dictionary quite a lot, that's why the text was so short. And I also had to think how to bend EuroBillTracker and other words that haven't been used in latin texts. (if some of our latinist have better ideas for those bendings, I'd love to hear them, I just tried to make it as simple as possible)
And I can "understand" some kind of italian text, so I also think it should be quite easy for italians to study latin. It also helps me with many french words, but somewhy it doesn't really help me in understanding entire sentences. And german again is close to swedish and that way I can also understand some german, at least some words. And again knowing german and french leads to dutch, right? So I could say I understand almost all EU languages except Greek(spanish and portuguese go with latin) Not so bad for anyone who is fifteen.
And when I wrote my opening comment in both languages I had to change the english version all the time to make it match the latin text, just in case someone could understand it. And I had to use my dictionary quite a lot, that's why the text was so short. And I also had to think how to bend EuroBillTracker and other words that haven't been used in latin texts. (if some of our latinist have better ideas for those bendings, I'd love to hear them, I just tried to make it as simple as possible)
And I can "understand" some kind of italian text, so I also think it should be quite easy for italians to study latin. It also helps me with many french words, but somewhy it doesn't really help me in understanding entire sentences. And german again is close to swedish and that way I can also understand some german, at least some words. And again knowing german and french leads to dutch, right? So I could say I understand almost all EU languages except Greek(spanish and portuguese go with latin) Not so bad for anyone who is fifteen.
- pinguino79
- Euro-Expert in Training

- Posts: 313
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
- Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU
Well, yes, Latin is probably easier for Italian students, just because lots of words are very similar (actually, most Italian/French/Spanish/Portoguese words are derived from Latin).
Grammar and syntax are instead another planet; what may sound weird is that Latin grammar is more similar to German
Funny note: my teachers at school often complained that we didn't know the meaning of some Latin words, so she usually said: "Shame on you! Latin is so similar to Italian! What would you do if you were German?"
Grammar and syntax are instead another planet; what may sound weird is that Latin grammar is more similar to German
Funny note: my teachers at school often complained that we didn't know the meaning of some Latin words, so she usually said: "Shame on you! Latin is so similar to Italian! What would you do if you were German?"
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
I think it has to do with the translation of the Holy Bible by Martin Luther. Luther sort of created the actual standard version of the German language. I believe he made it as complicate as Latin, so it made a well educated impression. A less structured language would have seemed less competent.pinguino79 wrote:...what may sound weird is that Latin grammar is more similar to German
If you are a native German speaker, you have an advantage if you know lots of foreign and borrowed words. Or, vice versa, if you know some Latin, you understand many foreign and borrowed words.pinguino79 wrote:What would you do if you were German?"
Definitly not... I have writen a lots of messages in the french area, but most of us come in the "thematic areas" in english.Antti wrote:That's what it mostly means anyway. EBTF is a good example, we write english here, though it's not anyones "own" language, and I don't think this has much to do with England.Olivier wrote:Actually , could globalization just mean americanisation ?
Basic English is just the easiest language to learn... I admit I still have some problems to understand some native english speakers, sometimes.
That could be a problem for them one day, if another language gets more popular...Tiger wrote: Maybe it's just that the American (and other native English people) are too lazy to learn another language
I wonder which language was spoken by the merchants, in the XIV - XVIIIth centuries... They bought and sold goods from Brugge to Firenze, from Paris to Venezia... Did they speak latin?
Maybe in a few decades, the common language will be... chinese?
Where is the latin part of the forumpinguino79 wrote:Back to the topic: I've studied latin for 5 (five!) years, but 5 more years have passed, so I can't write anything now without a dictionary, that I don't have now![]()
But I promise: when I'll get my dictionary back I'll post something in Latin (BTW, Antti had a great idea)
I am not sure of that... I have read that people of the Roman Empire spoke latin, but also their local languages. At the end of the empire, the "Barbarians" imported and mixed their languages with latin.Donald wrote:I think it has to do with the translation of the Holy Bible by Martin Luther. Luther sort of created the actual standard version of the German language. I believe he made it as complicate as Latin, so it made a well educated impression. A less structured language would have seemed less competent.pinguino79 wrote:...what may sound weird is that Latin grammar is more similar to German
My brother (french teacher) told me that french is the perfect mix of latin and german. Our grammar is germanic, even if the roots are latin and greek! After all, France is the little sister of the Francs (Carolus Magnus), as Germany is.
Our languages are cousins. Hungarian and Finnish are very different from german/italian/french/english/dutch...
Luther came later after the end of the roman empire...
Founding it was the real reason for posting this topic in the first place.Olivier wrote: Where is the latin part of the forum![]()
![]()
![]()
But still Hungarian and Finnish are so different from each other that I can't understand any Hungarian. The relativity between these languages was only discovered by linguists. They say that from a long distance you can't tell the difference between Finnish and HungarianOlivier wrote:Hungarian and Finnish are very different from german/italian/french/english/dutch...
- Skylimit
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 985
- Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
- Location: Belgium, Izegem
- Contact:
Olivier wrote: Where is the latin part of the forum![]()
![]()
![]()
Does the Vatican issue notes then... ? I heard somewhere that even the pope himself does not speak correct Latin ...
What does the forum think about staying in power until you die ... Isn't that something left over from the Dark Ages ?
Time is on our side ...
