How many languages do you speak?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

How many languages do you speak?

Post by Olivier »

I just wonder... how many, and which foreign languages do you speak? :-)

Some countries are known to be bad at foreign languages (France is :? ) , other not.

What about you?

Olivier
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Re: How many languages do you speak?

Post by Olivier »

I speak:
* French (of course)
* English (as best as I can)
* German (well hem... ) I learned german at school from age 13 to 20.
* Russian ("like a spanish cow" as we say in France). I have studied russian for 2 years in Lycée.

I'dl like to speak better all these languages. I also would like to learn italian. I love this country and the language. It would be my first latin language...

In a few days, I'll start to learn Québécois! :D :D
(Another version of french)

Olivier
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

- Finnish (mother tongue)
- English (good, at least I think so)
- Swedish (pretty bad, I understand a lot more than speak)
- German (only few words and sentences)
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

- German
- English
- Dutch
- I rarely have the opportunity to practice Latin. Sometimes a friend, who is a Latin teacher, sends me a postcard in Latin.
- I can express my basic needs in French.
- I like Italian, but I have virtually no need to speak it. I only know some parole, which sometimes helps me to get an idea what a canzone I hear on the radio could be about.
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2239
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:52 am
Location: Helden, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by MDeen »

- Dutch
- English
- German
- Basics of French (as long as they don't start talking back)
- very little bits of Spanish and Portugese

and of course my mothertongue: my local dialect.
User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit »

In that order
Dutch
English
German
French
(actually, my French should be a lot better, living so close to the language border of both France and Wallonië - but I haven't needed it the last 10 years, since a lot of companies use English as official language - and I never worked in the south of our country)

[some bits and pieces of Italian & Spanish I picked up from travelling]

[Czech -> I know how to recognize the word for next bus stop ... what was it again ... weird language - there is really not one word that looks familiar]
Time is on our side ...
User avatar
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 12:13 pm
Location: Brussels

Post by BossaNova »

mine are:

1-Portuguese (of course!) :P
2-Galician (to some people just a portuguese dialect, spoken in Galicia, Spain) :wink:
3-Spanish (I never studied spanish, but I think I understand it better then english, due to travels, tv, music, reading spanish newspappers..) :wink:
4-English (but probably not so good as I think, these foruns are always proving it to me) :oops:
5-French (well I studied 3 years at high school but.. you know.. basic notions) :roll:
6-Italian (only basic notions, if people speak slowly to me, I understand almost all, but can't speak it my self. Never studied, the things I know are due to tv and travels) :wink:
7-German (recently I started to study German on-line, but I don't have a class for a few months, so I don't remember much now..) :roll:
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

It's impressive! Everybody speak at least two or three foreign languages!!
User avatar
Sneakster
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:42 pm
Location: Breda,The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Sneakster »

Well, here's my short list:
1. Dutch
2. English, probably with lots of American slang I guess
3.German

I studied French for 3 years, but nowadays I don't use it anymore, so I've lost most of my "souplesse" :)
hetana
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:40 pm
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

Post by hetana »

I can speak
1. Finnish (surprise, surprise)
2. Swedish
3. German
4. English
5. Russia (I just started to learn it)
User avatar
Saaropean
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 2:59 pm
Location: SaarLorLux
Contact:

Post by Saaropean »

1. German (including two or three dialects of the south-west)
2. English (both American and British)
3. French (normal and Québécois)
4. Luxembourgish (easy to understand for me)
5. Dutch (reading and writing is far easier than understanding the spoken language)
6. Esperanto (enough for simple conversations)
7. Spanish (dito though it was my 3rd foreign language in school)
+ a few expressions in a number of other languages
+ Europanto :)
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

I speak:
- Dutch (my mothertongue, I understand also some other dialects, especially 'Antwaarps', spoken in Antwerp. But I don't have any problem with Holland-Dutch.)
- English (learned it and still learning at school, since 5 years. I understand almost any spoken and written text, and I can write and speak it myself quite good.)
- French (learned it and still learning at school, since 8 years. I understand most spoken and written text, can speak it myself, but I'm not that good in writing it. That's why I always reply in English on the French forum.)
- German (have to learn it at school, since 2 years, I understand most written, and some spoken German, but I can't form sentences myself because it looks too much like Dutch. I just start speaking Dutch with a German accent :p)
- Latin (I studied it for 4 years at school, but we never had to really speak it :p just translate some historical texts. And I lost a lot because I don't learn it anymore.)
- Finnish (I'm trying to learn some Finnish, my dream is to go to Finland one day, and be able to speak Finnish fluently. At this moment I'm still at the very basic beginnings.)
- Japanese (Same as Finnish, I like Japanese games, comics and anime. But it's a very hard language, and at this moment I don't understand much more than arigatou and konnichiwa :p.)
- Spanish and Italian (I never really learned these, but I can understand a lot. My knowledge of French, Latin and English help a lot. When I was in Spain, I understood almost anything people said, but it's VERY frustrating not being able to say something back. :()
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Wouter1
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:12 pm
Location: Oegstgeest, NL
Contact:

Post by Wouter1 »

1. Dutch/Nederlands
2. English (spoken)
3. German/Deutsch >> I teach it, for crying out loud 8O
4. English (written)
5. Holiday French & Holiday Italian & .......
Want to know everything about German watches? JUST CLICK and go to the >>> GermanWatchesForum
User avatar
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU

Post by pinguino79 »

I speak:
  • Italian (obviously) and my local dialect :wink:
  • English (probably an horrible mix of British and American)
  • I understand written French; spoken only if spoken slowly
  • I'm now trying with German (doing it in my free time for my own personal culture)
  • I perfectly understand Spanish (which looks like a dialect of Italian :wink: )
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
User avatar
francky
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:13 pm
Location: Marly la ville -Europa
Contact:

Re: How many languages do you speak?

Post by francky »

Olivier wrote:Some countries are known to be bad at foreign languages (France is :? ) , other not.
:oops: :oops:
1-French
2-English ( :roll: :wink: )
3-French
4-French
...I speak 4 languages :twisted: :twisted:
Francky [fr][en :?: ]
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”