Latin

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

Skylimit wrote:What does the forum think about staying in power until you die ... Isn't that something left over from the Dark Ages ?
It is just about virtues like duty. Mr Woytila has to suffer, this is part of his job. Christianity also believes that the weak can accomplish great things. Personally I agree that the weak can do important things, but I have a feeling that Jesus meant it in a slightly different way in the Sermon on the Mount.
Nonetheless, the pope has to be a role model, my point of view is not the catholic one, so I conclude that Mr. Woytila fulfills the expectations of his clients - not mine. We shouldn't blame him for this.
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

Skylimit wrote:I heard somewhere that even the pope himself does not speak correct Latin ...
Well, he's polish anyway and there sure no-one of us speaks his/her own language in a totally perfect way, because at some stage all languages get so difficult, that it's impossible to learn them perfectly. That's what I think after recently noticing how many things there are in Finnish I knew nothing about, although I always thought I knew Finnish well
Skylimit wrote:What does the forum think about staying in power until you die ... Isn't that something left over from the Dark Ages ?
It is, but traditions don't always have to be changed and one of the really important ideas in Christianity is that weak ones can do something great. Or that's what I think, I'm not sure how real Christians feel about this, I'm an atheist(but maybe not a real atheist, I don't know exactly what I am)
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

I'm not really an atheïst, but I'm not christian either.
I just don't give a shit about it :)


About the complex language-thingie:
I can speak Dutch very well (I think) but I imagine someone could write a text in Dutch, and if I read it I won't understand a single word from it :)
Noone knows any language perfectly.
I didn't even hear of 80% of the words in a dictionary, if I know 10% of them I'm already someone with a big vocabulary...

Languages aren't meant to be known perfectly, most languages have some room for improvisation.
If you want to say something, but don't know the exact word, just make a new word.
I don't know how that goes in other languages, but in Dutch you can perfectly make new words noone ever used, and still everyone understands you :)
It's really weird :)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Skylimit
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:33 pm
Location: Belgium, Izegem
Contact:

Post by Skylimit »

Antti wrote:, I'm an atheist(but maybe not a real atheist, I don't know exactly what I am)
Atheist contain A from Anti, which means "against", or "strongly opposed to", and has a negative meaning.

I wouldn't call myself an atheist because I have an open mind. I don't know if there is a word in English, we call it "vrijzinnig", which contains the word "free", which has a positive meaning.

Weird thing is, your name in Finnish "Antti" doesn't that mean "against", or opposed to ??
Time is on our side ...
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

vrij'zinnig I aj liberal; een ~e liberal; II ad liberally; -heid v liberalism, liberality.

Kramers EN-NL dictionary :)

Anti is Latin/Greek and I don't think Finnish has much words derived from our 'old languages'.
Every european language says telephone, téléphone, telefoon.
But Fins, no no, they have to say 'puhelin' :D
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

Tiger wrote: Anti is Latin/Greek and I don't think Finnish has much words derived from our 'old languages'.
I did some research and found that the name Antti is Greek origin and it has derived from Greek word for masculine. Similar names (not Finnish names): Andreas, Andrea, Anders, Andrew, Andrei.

After Swedes and Russians converted us to christians, many people were named with christian (from Hebrew or Greek) names.
Tiger wrote: Every european language says telephone, téléphone, telefoon.
But Fins, no no, they have to say 'puhelin' :D
Puhe = speech
Elin = organ / system
>> Puhe-elin >> Puhelin
:D :D :D
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

K3lvin wrote:I did some research and found that the name Antti is Greek origin and it has derived from Greek word for masculine. Similar names (not Finnish names): Andreas, Andrea, Anders, Andrew, Andrei.
However, Swedish Anders And is Finnish Akku Anka 8-)
K3lvin
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu May 09, 2002 1:16 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by K3lvin »

Donald wrote:However, Swedish Anders And is Finnish Akku Anka 8-)
Eh, Donald Duck is Aku Ankka in Finnish and Kalle Anka in Swedish.

www.akuankka.fi
www.disney.se/kalleanka/

:)
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

Shame on me! I should have known better!
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

K3lvin wrote:
Tiger wrote: Every european language says telephone, téléphone, telefoon.
But Fins, no no, they have to say 'puhelin' :D
Puhe = speech
Elin = organ / system
>> Puhe-elin >> Puhelin
:D :D :D
That's like the Germans with their 'Fernsprecher' (telephone) and 'Fernseher' (television) :)
Or the French who use 'des ordinateurs' instead of computers :)

Dutch is rather easy when it comes to foreign words...
Sometimes we even use foreign words where we have a (better) Dutch word.
'punaises' instead of 'duimspijkers' etc :)
(duimspijkers = litteraly thumbnails, nails you can push in a billboard with your thumb.)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Donald wrote: I conclude that Mr. Woytila fulfills the expectations of his clients - not mine. We shouldn't blame him for this.
Some of his clients wish to change of supplier...
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Tiger wrote:That's like the Germans with their 'Fernsprecher' (telephone) and 'Fernseher' (television) :)
Or the French who use 'des ordinateurs' instead of computers :)
The French often try to choose a french word to avoid anglicism... sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I like the french word "internaute" (netsurfer). We are a bit like cosmonautes of the Web... :)
(or spationautes, or astronautes... it depends of wich country you are from! :wink: )

O.
User avatar
Wouter1
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:12 pm
Location: Oegstgeest, NL
Contact:

Post by Wouter1 »

Tiger wrote:That's like the Germans with their 'Fernsprecher' (telephone)
I don't get your point:

telephone >>das Telefon, verb: telefonieren / anrufen

The Germans use a nice word for:

mobile phone >> das Handy
Want to know everything about German watches? JUST CLICK and go to the >>> GermanWatchesForum
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

Skylimit wrote:
Antti wrote:, I'm an atheist(but maybe not a real atheist, I don't know exactly what I am)
Atheist contain A from Anti, which means "against", or "strongly opposed to", and has a negative meaning.
Well then, I'll say I'm just open minded, I have nothing against religions, I just don't believe in them. But there is a small christian living inside me, but he's so small and weak that he doesn't make me very christian.
Skylimit wrote:Weird thing is, your name in Finnish "Antti" doesn't that mean "against", or opposed to ??
As already explained Antti is a greek name, while the finnish word for "anti" could be vastainen, thuogh it isn't used exactly the same way(anti-war=sodanvastainen, sodan is the genetive of sota(war)).
I'm sure there is a finnish word "anti", but I couldn't find it on my dictionary and it's kinda hard to explain. Osakeanti is the first sale of stocks to public(I think it is) and the beginning osake means a stock
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Frankfurt / Main

Post by Asiamaniac »

Olivier wrote:
Antti wrote:
Olivier wrote:One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"

Just crazy....

O.
Reminds me of President Lübke, who was our head of state in the 1960ies. He really had problems with conduct and wiseness. Sometimes I do not know what is true and what is just an anecdote.

One day, the story goes, he was on an official visit somewhere in Africa. He had to deliver a adress to the local audience, and he is said to have started: "Dear Negroes,..."
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”