Grandioso

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

Minosse

Grandioso

Post by Minosse »

Questo sito è straordinario! Peccato che l'ho scoperto tardi... recupererò il tempo perduto.
User avatar
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4318
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)
Contact:

Re: Grandioso

Post by androl »

thanks for your compliments and welcome to this great site!

...you may also want to register on this forum and log in
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
User avatar
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Bergamo & Bolonjo, IT
Contact:

Post by WinstonSmith »

Questo sito è straordinario! Peccato che l'ho scoperto tardi... recupererò il tempo perduto.
This site looks extraordinary. It's I pity I didn't know about it before today... I'll make up for the lost time.
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Wouldn't "is" be better translation than "looks" in the first sentence? :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Bergamo & Bolonjo, IT
Contact:

Post by WinstonSmith »

And 'it's a pity' instead of 'it's I pity'... :twisted:

I recently had to follow some (pretty useless) lectures about 'creativity in academic writing', where the lecturer kept on stressing our insane need to replace the verb "to be" with more elaborate forms, to make its meaning milder or to make the sentence sound better: e.g. "scientific evidence suggests/shows that Pluto is smaller than the Moon", instead of "Pluto is smaller than the Moon". And also, nothing "is" extraordinary: it just "seems" so.
I didn't like the lectures at all, and therefore I'm now leading a personal crusade in favour of replacing the verb "to be" with milder or more accurate forms whenever it's needed.

(but consider that the lectures were about the Italian language; in English I'm much more comfortable using the verb "to be"...)
User avatar
Le Hibou
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:56 pm
Location: Belgio
Contact:

Post by Le Hibou »

WinstonSmith wrote:(but consider that the lectures were about the Italian language; in English I'm much more comfortable using the verb "to be"...)
Your apparent meaning, that even though the lectures confined themselves to the Italian language, you still feel more comfortable in English when using more direct verbal forms to express existence or lack of such existence, leads me to believe that although you speak English well, perhaps some aspects of its usage may be unfamiliar to you. In particular, expressing a definite opinion on any subject whatsoever, may, in polite circles, cause no little embarrassment. To avoid such humiliation, or even social ostracism, the well-educated Englishman will never express an opinion, no matter how firmly held, that may cause offence simply by the fact that it contradicts that of another. Example:
Man 1: "How's your wife?"
Man 2: "Elizabeth? She's fine!"
Man 1: "Elizabeth? But I could have sworn her name was Emily!"
Man 2: "Well, I think it's Elizabeth, but then again I could be mistaken.."
Man 1: "No, no, I'm sure you're right, she's called Elizabeth, but I was sure.."
Man 2: "No, come to think of it some people do call her Emma.."
--the conversation last twenty more minutes before it transpires that Man 2 is not married at all.
User avatar
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Bergamo & Bolonjo, IT
Contact:

Post by WinstonSmith »

This is a matter of meaning; mine was rather a matter of "different ways to express the same idea".

Man 1: "How's your wife?" ---> Italian: "Come sta sua moglie?" (stare = to feel)
Man 2: "Elizabeth? She's fine!" ---> "Sta bene!" (again, to feel, and not to be)

...and so on :wink:
Anyway you're right, I don't know English to such an extent!
User avatar
Le Hibou
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:56 pm
Location: Belgio
Contact:

Post by Le Hibou »

Actually, the whole response was a (poor) attempt at a joke: the first paragraph was just an attempt to write a paragraph without using the verb "to be". The dialogue following was just an extreme example of how the English consider it rather impolite to be certain about anything at all (or at least to avoid offense by seeming to be certain). Your example of
"scientific evidence suggests/shows that Pluto is smaller than the Moon", instead of "Pluto is smaller than the Moon"
is a classic example of this, and actually sounds very English to my ears!.

But I could be wrong. :wink:
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

's is a short for "is". Therefore, the example is broken ;)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Le Hibou
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:56 pm
Location: Belgio
Contact:

Post by Le Hibou »

no, no, no, just the first paragraph is the example :roll: .... unless I'm very much mistaken :?
User avatar
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9124
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bremen (DE) + Pisa (IT)
Contact:

Post by claudio vda »

Why we have to speak English, if England is outside of Europe? :D

Let's speak Esperanto! :wink:

Or, perhaps, why don't open a "latini topicum"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
(One of those days, I will do it)

EDIT 2 Yes, I edited because I wrote "is" for a mistake, I corrected in "if". Now I have edited twice :P
Last edited by claudio vda on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:35 pm

Post by Gauss »

Pauci nostrum vel linguam latinam vel linguam esperantam apprehenderunt.
User avatar
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9124
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bremen (DE) + Pisa (IT)
Contact:

Post by claudio vda »

Gauss wrote:Pauci nostrum vel linguam latinam vel linguam esperantam apprehenderunt.
Pauci, sed pugnaces! :wink:
Anglorum lingua totum mundum pervadit, sed minores partes superstes erunt :D
User avatar
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4318
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)
Contact:

Post by androl »

claudio vda wrote:Or, perhaps, why don't open a [new] "latini topicum"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gauss wrote:something written a that uses mother unintelligible in language no-one as language
You're OFF-TOPIC!!!! :P :lol:
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
User avatar
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9124
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Bremen (DE) + Pisa (IT)
Contact:

Post by claudio vda »

androl wrote: You're OFF-TOPIC!!!! :P :lol:
Opss! :oops: I'm sorry, but I think all this topis is off-topic, isn't it?.

But you are right, stop with the latin discussion here :D

PS: I didn't understood at all your English traduction of Gauss' message: maybe in Latin it was better for me :wink:

EDIT PPS: but THIS topic is a sort of off-topic, why we can't discuss of Latin? We have discuss of English and the original was "EBT is beatiful"
What the moderators say?
:P
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”