I only used an AZERTY keyboard once, in a cybercafé in France... It was really weird, I had to look at the keyboard to search for the letters when writing
Wikipedia wrote:The Portuguese (Portugal) keyboard layout is also preferable, as it provides all the French accents (acute, grave, tréma, tilde, circumflex, cedilla, and also quotation marks «») and its dead-letter option for all the accent keys allow for easy input of all the possibilities in French and most other languages(áàäãâéèëêíìïîóòöõôúùüû). Ç is, however, a separate key.
Yup, seems quite good, even better than the Finnish/Swedish layout.
However, even that one doesn't include the caron, which has started to be quite useful now that the EU has expanded.
If you find a keyboard that can write all those plus the caron, I'm veery happy.
Hmm.. Maybe I should make my own keybpoard layout. Being a linux user that wouldn't be very hard.
I have two computers at work. My PC has an AZERTY-keyboard, my Mac QWERTY. I have to switch quite often from one computer to the other. It's in fact fun to make the switch in my head
The only things I hate about AZERTY is that you have to hold the shift button to get a '.' and Alt Gr has to be held to get a '@'. That could have been easier...
Evert wrote:I hated to write in Germany with my friend's keyboard as always when I wanted to use "Y" there was "X" on it's place, if I remember right..
Well, it all boils down to what you're used to. My keyboard has the standard German QWERTZ layout, and for me QWERTY or AZERTY are "odd". But on pretty much every computer you can set the keyboard layout to whatever you usually use. So next time you use your German friend's computer, set the layout to en-us (or whatever) and type as usual. Provided you know which key would be where on the keyboard you are used to, you then won't mix Y and Z up again.