A good idea for getting a good track
Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus
-
guest
A good idea for getting a good track
Why doesnt someone write in small writing www.eurobilltracker.com on a bill?
There have been discussions about this on the forum. If you write the link on a bill, the chance to get a hit would increase, you might think. But when you have written on it and the bill ends up at a bank the bill will be taken out of circulation and be destroyed
. So only write the link on bills where something is already written on it

Last edited by Elmo on Thu May 08, 2003 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people have a local office supply store make a stamp with the URL and use this stamp to mark the bills.
Of course, this may shorten the lifetime of the bill considerably as European banks are rigorous at taking defaced (in the wide sense) currency out of circulation, unlike banks in Northern America where the Central Bank system is organized differently.
Of course, this may shorten the lifetime of the bill considerably as European banks are rigorous at taking defaced (in the wide sense) currency out of circulation, unlike banks in Northern America where the Central Bank system is organized differently.
guest wrote:Why doesnt someone write in small writing www.eurobilltracker.com on a bill?
Some banks destroy a note when something is written on it,
So I guess you musn't write it big
So just like you said: SMALL
Sometimes I write the URL on a note, but I still didn't got a hit because of an URL on one of my notes, I've got another hit with a note where I dind't put the URL on, I know because when I entered that note I didn't wrote the URL on my notes, I did that later.
-
Asiamaniac
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 12:06 pm
- Location: Frankfurt / Main
I share this opinion: Writing any stuff on a note shortens its lifetime considerably, and that is very contraproductive for us. If at all, then write it on a note which is already in a poor condition so it might be taken out of circulation anyway. Maybe someone else can still read it before it gets to a bank where it will be destroyed.
- avij
- Forum Moderator

- Posts: 6192
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
- Location: Helsinki Finland
- Contact:
I've written the URL on just one note -- it was my 1000th note, Italian 20 euro note if I recall correctly. Writing the URL on the note may shorten its life somewhat. My strategy to get more hits is simply to add tons of notes into EBT, one of them will eventually be a hit 
By the way, on the subject of note lifespan, here's a table of US dollar's average life time:
$ 1 .............. 22 months
$ 5 ................ 2 Years
$ 10................ 3 Years
$ 20 ............... 4 Years
$ 50 ............... 9 Years
$100 .............. 9 Years
So, if eurobills are similar enough to the USDs, it might be possible to register a 50 euro note to EBT now and get an email in 2012 saying that you've got a hit. That'd be cool
By the way, on the subject of note lifespan, here's a table of US dollar's average life time:
$ 1 .............. 22 months
$ 5 ................ 2 Years
$ 10................ 3 Years
$ 20 ............... 4 Years
$ 50 ............... 9 Years
$100 .............. 9 Years
So, if eurobills are similar enough to the USDs, it might be possible to register a 50 euro note to EBT now and get an email in 2012 saying that you've got a hit. That'd be cool
I've read italians write on their bills more often so maybe they don't remove bills from circulation so easily, so I decided to make a little advert as I'm goin there next week, I wrote the url on the notes I'm taking with me and I'll try to url the notes I get there. Trying to bring some light to the black hole of eurobilltracking
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
Today my dad got a phonecall from his bank, telling him to stop writing little dots on the bills.
I'm the one who does that, so he explained it.
But apparently the bank wasn't really happy. They said writing on notes is considered as destroying property of the state on purpose, and is even prosecutable.
On the EBT site you can read in the FAQ that it isn't illegal, but apparently my father's bank has another opinion about it.
I think I'll just stop writing these dots on my bills, but when I'm absolutely 100% sure it _isn't _ illegal, I just go to that bank telling them to shut the fuck up, with that mail from ECB printed, and that they _have_ to accept my notes whether they like it or not.
I'm the one who does that, so he explained it.
But apparently the bank wasn't really happy. They said writing on notes is considered as destroying property of the state on purpose, and is even prosecutable.
On the EBT site you can read in the FAQ that it isn't illegal, but apparently my father's bank has another opinion about it.
I think I'll just stop writing these dots on my bills, but when I'm absolutely 100% sure it _isn't _ illegal, I just go to that bank telling them to shut the fuck up, with that mail from ECB printed, and that they _have_ to accept my notes whether they like it or not.
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
-
thomas
- Euro-Expert in Training

- Posts: 395
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:24 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
I read somewhere, but I forgot where, that 1$ notes last only for 18 months. Where did you get this list?avij wrote:By the way, on the subject of note lifespan, here's a table of US dollar's average life time:
$ 1 .............. 22 months
$ 5 ................ 2 Years
$ 10................ 3 Years
$ 20 ............... 4 Years
$ 50 ............... 9 Years
$100 .............. 9 Years
- bhoeyb
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 4270
- Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
- Location: Herentals - Belgium
- Contact:
Tiger wrote:Today my dad got a phonecall from his bank, telling him to stop writing little dots on the bills.
I'm the one who does that, so he explained it.
But apparently the bank wasn't really happy. They said writing on notes is considered as destroying property of the state on purpose, and is even prosecutable.![]()
Maybe you can write them at a less visible place like a small dot at a bridge or a dot on the map of Europe at the place you live
Well, there are so few italian people here that you can hardly generalize.Antti wrote:I've read italians write on their bills more often so maybe they don't remove bills from circulation so easily, so I decided to make a little advert as I'm goin there next week, I wrote the url on the notes I'm taking with me and I'll try to url the notes I get there. Trying to bring some light to the black hole of eurobilltracking
I am currently the active italian with the higher total of bills (but I hope Pinguino69 and The King will become active again!), and I do stamp some notes.
I stamp all E5 notes, most E10 (unless they are mint new), a few E20 (if they are very worn and/or they already have other markings).
Unfortunately, when they did my stamp, they made it quite big; even though it's easy to read, it's very conspicuous.
I registered about 100 unstamped notes (but I wrote a message with a pen on some of them), and about 150 stamped ones; I only got a hit from a stamped note. Note that there are just 2 hits in the whole of Italy, so I'd say that at least in Italy stamping notes will be MUCH helpful.
Unfortunately, the person who registered my note didn't do anything else on EBT
If you hope to have your note registered by an italian, I'd suggest writing something in Italian.
I use this text "Per favore registra questa banconota su www.eurobilltracker.com"
Just the URL won't be much use, I think.
Where in Italy are you going to be?
Gino
- avij
- Forum Moderator

- Posts: 6192
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
- Location: Helsinki Finland
- Contact:
http://www.moneyfactory.com/document.cfm/18/106thomas wrote:I read somewhere, but I forgot where, that 1$ notes last only for 18 months. Where did you get this list?
- eurobillsandcoins
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
- Location: Hong Kong SAR
- Contact:
This is very true, franc bills such as the 200,500F notes were replaced very often, it was hard to find one in bad shape. ATMs used to be filled with only new notes, and the French central bank kept replacing bills.Gauss wrote:Some people have a local office supply store make a stamp with the URL and use this stamp to mark the bills.
Of course, this may shorten the lifetime of the bill considerably as European banks are rigorous at taking defaced (in the wide sense) currency out of circulation, unlike banks in Northern America where the Central Bank system is organized differently.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.

