Countries which shred notes

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Countries which shred notes

Post by Dakkus »

We've been discussing about marking EBT's address to the notes which travel through our hands. Of course this isn't a good idea in Finland, Germany and some other quite "strict" countries. You get the point.

But the marked notes aren't shredded in every country. As far as I've understood they don't care about small writings in - for example - Italian notes. So, in those countries marking the notes might be a good idea.

So.. What countries do shred the marked notes and what do not? You see, now that it's summer and we travel here and there, we should probably mark the notes we're going to spend in a countries where they won't be scrapped. That way we'd get a lot of new users.

So.. Now tell us which countries let little writings go through so we can make a list for a bit of advertising ;)
Last edited by Dakkus on Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 12:13 pm
Location: Brussels

Post by BossaNova »

I guess in Portugal there's no problem..

I've taken some writed notes from ATMs..

bn :arrow:
Now in the EBT desert of Paris. My profile here.
User avatar
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2097
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:05 pm
Location: Hämeenlinna / Finland

Post by Aaron »

Do anyone know how strict are they in Finland? I always mark my notes with a small dot in the upper right corner. I do that only in order to avoid adding the same note twice to the database.

If they are very strict here I should give up with that... :?
User avatar
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4242
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:16 pm
Location: Leiden (Netherlands)

Post by Elmo »

Aaron wrote:Do anyone know how strict are they in Finland? I always mark my notes with a small dot in the upper right corner. I do that only in order to avoid adding the same note twice to the database.

If they are very strict here I should give up with that... :?
It is best not to do it at all if the bill is unwritten (see my signature :wink:),
because a bill can travel from a not so strict country to a very strict coutry :idea: .
Only if the bill is written on you can write on the bill whatever you want,
because in that case the bill will be scrapped anyway. :idea:
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

I wouldn't care if a few marked bills travel to countries where banks are stricter. You see, the countries where marking could work, are also those where EBT doesn't have enough presence. It's anyway quite rare that a note travels abroad, and even if it does, it doesn't necessarily get scrapped. In my opinion getting 15 new members is more important than getting 0,1 hits (the probability to find the specific foreign note in your country isn't 100% even if the note doesn't get scrapped..).
Don't think about theoretical possibilities. Think about probabilities :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
eurobillsandcoins
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Hong Kong SAR
Contact:

Post by eurobillsandcoins »

France is the worst, I remember that franc notes never had writing, you could have a stack of 1000 notes and all could have no writing. The Banque de France frequently replaced franc notes. The French don't let their bills get too crinkly before thye're removed from circulation. According to BNP Paribas procedures we must remove notes that have writing, are torn, have tape, more than a certian number of folds or we just think its too crinkled. Its quite strange.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
Marja
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 3:15 pm
Location: Donabate, Ireland

Post by Marja »

Irish notes are terrible, I'm not too sure about scrapping them but especially the €5 euro notes look really bad some times (I don't think they go back to the bank to often). In some cases you wonder if they fall apart if you touch them!! In that case I do write on them because the changes of a note like that being scrapped are quite high any way! :)
User avatar
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by Annie_in_exile »

Is there a bank policy for notes which have been ironed? :lol:
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Countries which scrap notes

Post by Fons »

Dakkus wrote: So.. Now tell us which countries let little writings go through so we can make a list for a bit of advertising ;)
Belgium has very strict rules, any bill with a little wrinting on it doesn't get trough.
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

Annie_in_exile wrote:Is there a bank policy for notes which have been ironed? :lol:
Bankers ain't no ironmen!
User avatar
Annie_in_exile
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:51 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Post by Annie_in_exile »

:D certainly not.

What are they then?
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Annie_in_exile wrote::D certainly not.

What are they then?
Simply martians to most people ;)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Myranya
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:01 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Myranya »

Many years ago, as a kid, I'd draw a little line on every bill I got, hoping to receive it back some day. That's about 20-25 years ago, long before tracking sites and I didn't write down serial numbers or anything, so I'd never know how long the note had been gone, but it was fun hoping for one to get back to me one day :) :)
I never thought that was a problem and I sometimes got a note with a small number or other mark on it, but a website addy is pretty long.
An idea: could we get a very short redirect url, for example a tinyurl (http://tinyurl.com to use? That way, instead of www.eurobilltracker.com, which is nice in that it accurately describes the purpose of the site but is also a rather long line, we'd only need to use 'tinyurl.com/1234' It'd also be less clear what it's for, but hey, people are curious by nature so I'm sure quite a lot would check it out!
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Hello Myranya! :-) Welcome in the forum!
(you have a very nice avatar!!)
User avatar
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland
Contact:

Post by avij »

The www. prefix can be dropped if needed -- eurobilltracker.com works as well. The short domain names are mostly taken by now..
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”