Eurovision Song Contest

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: NW · DE · EU

Post by tabbs »

Fons wrote:it's Ieva's Polka (an i not a L)
Seems to be a popular mistake though. Try entering Levan Polkka, with the L, at http://en.wikipedia.org/ :lol:

As for that party in Helsinki ... http://www.macleans.ca/culture/news/sho ... t=e052637A

Christian
User avatar
JP Simões
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9709
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:13 pm

Post by JP Simões »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ieva%27s_Polka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levan_Polkka

Are the same article. I still don't know the difference though.
De férias por período indeterminado...
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: NW · DE · EU

Post by tabbs »

Zé da Silva wrote:I still don't know the difference though.
Both queries that you posted are actually redirected to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ievan_Polkka So yes, the first word actually starts with an I ...

Christian
User avatar
JP Simões
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 9709
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:13 pm

Post by JP Simões »

tabbs wrote: Both queries that you posted are actually redirected to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ievan_Polkka So yes, the first word actually starts with an I ...
Didn't bother looking at that. :) Sorry!
De férias por período indeterminado...
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Fons »

Zé da Silva wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ieva%27s_Polka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levan_Polkka

Are the same article. I still don't know the difference though.
There is an automatic redirected from the L to the I.
The mistake is probably being made quite often...


btw, maybe funny to know, about the link to the Loituma-video I posted in the Olen Omena topic > I found it when googling to "Levas Polka" :D
User avatar
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Post by Poutsi »

tabbs wrote:
Fons wrote:it's Ieva's Polka (an i not a L)
Seems to be a popular mistake though. Try entering Levan Polkka, with the L, at http://en.wikipedia.org/ :lol:

As for that party in Helsinki ... http://www.macleans.ca/culture/news/sho ... t=e052637A

Christian
Even I made that mistake. :P I thought Leva was a municipality or a place or something, but of course it's Eeva/Eva when pronounced with north-carelian dialect. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
User avatar
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4318
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)
Contact:

Post by androl »

So Ieva should be Eeva in standard Finnish? Are the whole lyrics written in dialect? I noticed the word laiasta, I think that should be laidasta in normal Finnish.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
User avatar
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4734
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: No Helsinkiem, Somijas / Iš Helsinkio, Suomijos
Contact:

Post by Dakkus »

Hmm.. My throat is still a bit sore for that karaoke growling :D
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
User avatar
Evert
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:29 pm
Location: Perniö, Finland

Post by Evert »

http://www.sieni.us/?id=5

:D I've seen another one with the same song.. Seems to be popular? 8)
User avatar
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14790
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Fons »

I've seen this one at several places on the net when searching for more Loituma stuff :)
User avatar
Poutsi
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:37 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Post by Poutsi »

androl wrote:So Ieva should be Eeva in standard Finnish? Are the whole lyrics written in dialect? I noticed the word laiasta, I think that should be laidasta in normal Finnish.
Yeah, the whole song is in (north) carelian dialect (i should've known, my both grandparents from fathers side are originally from Soviet occupied Carelia, and they still talk pretty much like that). And you're right, laiasta = laidasta, nuapurista = naapurista, immeiset = ihmiset, toevotti = toivotti, Ieva = Eeva and so on...
Aina ei voi voittaa :/
User avatar
CSI
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

Post by CSI »

Somebody has had fun making this video. :wink:
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: NW · DE · EU

Post by tabbs »

And here is a great video where the Academic Male Choir of Tallinn Technical University (Estonia) http://www.tam.ee/ sings "Hard Rock Hallelujah":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2roPaSJdk0

Seems they also had a lot of fun. :D

Christian
User avatar
milanocapitale
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1916
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Milano,Lombardia,Nothern Italy(what's 'europe'?)
Contact:

Post by milanocapitale »

when I was in Cyprus the ukranian singer was in my hotel,in italy we don't haue the eurocontest singer so i didn't know who was that funny 'popstar' 1/2 gangsta-1/2 nomad he was with a crew of 20 persons...

but i have listened to the lithuanian song and it is so great!'we are the winner'
-THE ThREAD DIGGER-
Passi per quello sfigato di Marin, passi per quella zoccola della Bruni, passi per una fabbrica di debito come Alitalia ma EBT NO!(Manadou sta gran zoccola)
IO NON SONO MARINARETTO
Asiamaniac
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun May 26, 2002 12:06 pm
Location: Frankfurt / Main

Re:

Post by Asiamaniac »

tabbs wrote: And in case you end up with very few points, it would not look very good ... I know this does not apply to all countries that take part in the ESC. But it sure does for Germany (...).
Oh yes, it does. Our top girlie-band "No Angels" were the last in ESC 2008 and ever since there is not much heard of them. At least not in terms of music. They made it recently to the front pages through the arrest of one of the girls right before she was to give a concert. She is framed for deliberately infecting at least one man with the HIV-virus that she carries inside her...
Meine Angst, dass die Autokorrektur einmal etwas Obszönes ausspuckt, wichst täglich.
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”