Distance calculations

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: Fons, avij, Phaseolus

smh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:57 pm

Post by smh »

Olivier wrote:I am also serious when I say that most of the time the english-speaking people don't know a single word in a foreign language... they don't have to do any effort as everyone "should" speak english.
Yes i agree with you. The English are probably worse if it comes to a second language, but they are lucky that a lot of people who's mother tongue isn't English do speak English.
Olivier wrote: It has changed for decades. All the french pupils learn english at school. even if they might not ALL speak well
That was why i was so surprised, a lot of young (18-30) people weren't able to even use a few words of English.
Olivier wrote: I don't understand... how many languages should be used in euro disney?
If you want to attract tourists.............
Ernst wrote: I don't know why people always complain about France. Have you ever been in Spain(outside mallorca)?
I guess you are right, tourists don't have any problems in the tourist area's coz there are a lot of foreigners working there.

It wasn't a personel attack to any of you, but French are "famous" for not speaking English, and now i can imagine why.

Sander
Guest

Post by Guest »

I believe us Dutchmen are quite good at speaking foreign languages. Because we're such a small country we're forced to speak many other languages, because you really can't get far with just Dutch. Most Dutch people speak like 3 or 4 languages, there are folks out there who speak 6 languages or even more!
But when you look at the Americans (big country), they're totally amazed if you speak more than two different languages! Well, that could also be because most of the Americans aren't exactly bright IMHO...
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

smh wrote:Yes i agree with you. The English are probably worse if it comes to a second language, but they are lucky that a lot of people who's mother tongue isn't English do speak English.
Yes, they are! Simply because the first superpower is the USA, which speak their language.
smh wrote:
Olivier wrote: It has changed for decades. All the french pupils learn english at school. even if they might not ALL speak well
That was why i was so surprised, a lot of young (18-30) people weren't able to even use a few words of English.
:( In a touristic place... :!: :?:

The reason may be that people in Eurodisney are not well payed. One of my cousin (who speak fluently english and works now as an interpretor) has refused a job there. The conditions of work are very bad too.
The reputation is not good for working there.
smh wrote:
Olivier wrote: I don't understand... how many languages should be used in euro disney?
If you want to attract tourists.............
Eurodisney is one of the most attractive place in the whole Europe. France has been the first world destination for tourists for years, and Paris also...

I think progress have been made regularly, for the quality of services, the friendliness (we had a "smile" campaign last year, to invite the french to smile :wink: )
I personnaly like to see people from all over the world, in the streets of Paris, where I live. :) It's pleasant...
smh wrote: It wasn't a personel attack to any of you, but French are "famous" for not speaking English, and now i can imagine why.
We know that we are not bilingual, but it's better than some decades ago.

After all, maybe the french you've seen were not good at english at schoo. ;-) That's why they now work for Disney! :lol:

Olivier
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Anonymous wrote: But when you look at the Americans (big country), they're totally amazed if you speak more than two different languages! Well, that could also be because most of the Americans aren't exactly bright IMHO...
It's a question of necessity (they don't need to do any effort to be understood), and maybe a question of their educational system. Foreign languages are not important for them.

O.
User avatar
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:44 pm
Location: Vicenza, Italy, EU

Post by pinguino79 »

Everyone is talking about French, and I know about the stereotype of French only speaking French; I personally experienced this is not true (I said this mainly because French and Italians are said to be cousins, so I'm here to defend the honor of the family :) ).
In Italy foreign languages are mandatory in schools (now starting from 6 years old) but though many people have studied English for 5 years, a large parte wouldn't be able to handle a conversation or reading some English text. Don't know why, it seems that most Italians are not interested in learning languages. :(
This is not so bad for me, as this means less competition when it comes to speak with German or Swedish or Dutch girls on the beach :twisted:
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

I go to France like 5-6 times a year :) ...
And where I go they don't speak anything else as French.
I don't think that's wrong, actually, they have the right to speak their own language in their own village :)
And because I know French very well (I learned it at school from the age of 9, even before I learned English at school) I don't really care.

But when we went to Spain last Eastern, I noticed that they too only speak their own language....
In touristic places a little English, but even then, it's better that they speak Spanish to you because their English is less understandable as chinese...
I never had 1 lesson of Spanish, but I could fairly understand what they ment. (Not 100%, but I got their point :D ).

But sometimes it's very annoying when you want to say something, and you CAN'T!
In France I don't have that problem, because I can understand almost anything :p But in Spain it's sometimes a pain in the ass :(
When you can understand what they're saying, you still can't say something back. And sometimes that's rather bad.... For example when a shopkeeper gives you not anough money back, or when there is a problem with your hotel reservation (yes, we had that... not easy to make that spanish-only-talking-guy-behind-the-desk clear that you did reservate a room 8) ).

Well, I think the French are not the only-one who are so monoligual...
If you look at other countries, the only one who can really speak several languages, are those who speak a little language themselves (Dutch, Finnish, etc....) They NEED to speak other languages, because otherwise other people just won't understand them.
Ant nothing is more annoying :)

Well, so far my post, because it's becomming long again.
(If there were a ranking for longest average postings, I'd be on top for sure :p)

greetz
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
francky
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:13 pm
Location: Marly la ville -Europa
Contact:

Post by francky »

Tiger wrote: Well, so far my post, because it's becomming long again.
And long Way from the topic Distance calculations :wink: for all the last post :!:
Francky [fr][en :?: ]
User avatar
Mr Euro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2396
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:59 am
Location: Hasselt - Belgium

Post by Mr Euro »

Re Oliver:

I've been to Eurodisney last week and everyone I spoke to was speaking English rather well. I don't speak French that well, so that's why I always talked English. At the infodesk of the Hotel and at the bagageroom people talked even fluent Dutch to me. Maybe some people behind the scenes that don't talk English well. Are those the people you are referring to?

I don't know, but my fear about not being helped in English at Eurodisney was wrong. They served me perfect and with a :) and that's what I've been hearing over and over about Eurodisney!!!
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

pinguino79 wrote: French and Italians are said to be cousins, so I'm here to defend the honor of the family :) ).
Grazie Nicola!! :D

< Don't know why, it seems that most Italians are not interested in learning languages. :( >

Maybe it's easier for the people from countries which speak germanic tongues to learn english, dutch and german than for the latin speaking countries, such as Spain, France or Italy. :?:

<<This is not so bad for me, as this means less competition when it comes to speak with German or Swedish or Dutch girls on the beach :twisted>

Les Italiens sont les pros de la séduction sur la plage! :wink:
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Tiger wrote: In touristic places a little English, but even then, it's better that they speak Spanish to you because their English is less understandable as chinese...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tiger wrote: But sometimes it's very annoying when you want to say something, and you CAN'T!
When I have been in Poland, in 1985, no one spoke english there. They used to learn russian at school. I "only" spoke engish and a bit of german. So we found a way to understand ourselves: the hands (like in Italy :wink: ) and the dictionnary.
You point the word you want to say with a smile... the other people reads is and say "AAh! OK!! " :lol:

Of course, it doesn't work for philosophical debates. :-)

<< For example when a shopkeeper gives you not anough money back, or when there is a problem with your hotel reservation (yes, we had that... not easy to make that spanish-only-talking-guy-behind-the-desk clear that you did reservate a room 8) ). >>

The same happened to me in London. The english-only-talking-guy didn't want to understand us because he didn't want to admit that our room was already full whereas we have made a reservation a month ago.
:twisted:
We spent our week end in a hotel worst than in India... and finaly we got our money back. :x

<<
Well, I think the French are not the only-one who are so monoligual...
If you look at other countries, the only one who can really speak several languages, are those who speak a little language themselves (Dutch, Finnish, etc....) They NEED to speak other languages, because otherwise other people just won't understand them.
Ant nothing is more annoying :) >>

True...

When my brother wants to speak italian in Italy, the people always answer in french... I wonder why... :lol:

Olivier
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Mr Euro wrote:Re Oliver:

I've been to Eurodisney last week and everyone I spoke to was speaking English rather well. I don't speak French that well, so that's why I always talked English. At the infodesk of the Hotel and at the bagageroom people talked even fluent Dutch to me.

I don't know, but my fear about not being helped in English at Eurodisney was wrong. They served me perfect and with a :) and that's what I've been hearing over and over about Eurodisney!!!
So, the french are not as bad at english as it's commonly said. :-)
(Ouf!)

O.
Post Reply

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”