AZERTY or QWERTY ?

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

What kind of keybord do you have?

AZERTY
41
24%
QWERTY
110
65%
another kind...
16
9%
I can't write. My computer understands my voice.
2
1%
 
Total votes: 169

User avatar
Ganymede
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:51 am
Location: Mt. Olympus

Post by Ganymede »

I've only every used QWERTY keyboards.

But now I've got a question: sometimes the special symbols, diacritical, punctuation etc. FRIGGIN MOVE WHILE I'M TYPING! (I don't mean when I'm drunk, that's when the keyboard stays still and the rest of the room moves.)

For instance the brackets for BBCodes are normally situated on the two keys next to the P, ie top right of my keyboard. But all of a sudden I'm typing and I get * instead! Then I have to change to the key in the bottom left, between the Shift and the Z. And I'm always searching for the slash and the questionmark...

If anyone knows what could cause this I would be MOST grateful!
I don't háve a life.
User avatar
Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Bray, Ireland

Post by Fjon »

This probably has to do with your keyboard layout - you must be accidentally changing it. To change it back look for a little two letter code in your taskbar (this is your language bar). In XP it is at the righthand side. If you can't see it you may have to right-click your taskbar -> Toolbars and select it. Click on it and change back to the language you want.

Edit: this may exaplin better than I can:

To switch languages or keyboards from the taskbar

Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details.
Under Preferences, click Language Bar.
In the Language Bar Settings dialog box, select the Show additional Language bar icons in the Notification area check box.
Click OK three times.
Click the language icon or the keyboard icon on the taskbar to display a menu.
Click a language or keyboard.


Notes

To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.
The language icon is available only if you have added multiple languages or multiple keyboard layouts in Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
When inserting text, you can use the keyboard, speech recognition, or handwriting recognition interchangeably without clicking a button.
The letters on the icon represent the active language. For example, EN stands for English.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
User avatar
Ganymede
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:51 am
Location: Mt. Olympus

Post by Ganymede »

Thanks, I'll have a look, erm... Sunday evening at the earliest. I'm off to Brussels after work, just stopping off at home long enough at home to pick up my jimjams... ;)
I don't háve a life.
User avatar
bocky
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:53 am
Location: Pontinha, Portugal (near Lisboa)

Post by bocky »

I have a portuguese QWERTY keyboard:

Image

I used a AZERTY keyboard in a cybercafe in France once and it was frustrating, I had to search for the letters :P

BTW, the € symbol is made by pressing AltGr+E or AltGr+5.
User avatar
alex77r
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:24 pm
Location: London Heathrow (UK)
Contact:

Post by alex77r »

AZERTY
User avatar
Angelino
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4453
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:33 am
Location: Barcelona

Post by Angelino »

Mine is QWERTY plus Ñ (I use in spanish) and Ç (I use in catalan).

It's curious... portuguese Ç and 'spanish' Ç are in different situation. Ñ owns the portuguese-Ç situation in spanish keyboard. 'Spanish' Ç it's two keys moving to right from Ñ, next to 'ENTER'.
User avatar
wally2cv
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3639
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:03 pm
Location: Stad Hamont(51°15´3´´ N 5° 32´29´´ E)
Contact:

Post by wally2cv »

Olivier wrote:
BossaNova wrote:mine is QWERTY, but has some addicional buttons for portuguese like: ç, ~, à, á, ê, õ etc..
One of my friends tried yesterday night to persuade me all the world except France (and so Belgium and germany) uses QWERTY keyboards.
On his mind, the qwerty is the best keyboard...
Germany = QWERTZ !
PSV-Fan since 1970

Eppur si muove (Theme 11th worldmeeting of 2cv-friends Ptuj, Slovenia 1995)
User avatar
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 11851
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:43 am
Location: Ferrara, Italy

Post by ravestorm »

At home I use an Italian QWERTY keyboard, at university an American QWERTY one

Italian QWERTY:
Image
Last edited by ravestorm on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
User avatar
pipocadoce
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3197
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:15 am
Location: Portugal-Alentejo

Post by pipocadoce »

mine is QWERTY
Smile ;o) always 76 :flag-eu: 62 :flag-pt: ,4 :flag-de: ,3 :flag-nl: ,1 :flag-si: ,2 :flag-es: ; 2 :flag-fr: ; 1 :flag-be: ; 1 http://pt.eurobilltracker.com/img/flags/Thailand.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :flag-th:
my profile
Postcrossing
Postcrossing forum
User avatar
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 20032
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:49 am
Location: Rotterdam (NL)
Contact:

Post by eddydevries »

Also QWERTY.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
User avatar
debemaks
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 5762
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Lerici - La Spezia - Italy
Contact:

Post by debemaks »

I have Italian QWERTY, but sometime I use German QWERTZ, sometime Russian ЙЦУКЕН, but it's too odd to learn, so I prefer to use the Macedonian ЉЊЕРТЅ with some addings 8O :!: :wink:
I collect and swap 2€ CC, PM for swap!!!!
Do you like card fighting games? Try this one!!
www.palerici.it - Skype: debemaks - my NIG stats
my EBTST stats
Vladislav
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:27 am

Post by Vladislav »

QWERTY in english, ЙЦУКЕН in russian.

Vladislav Frank.
User avatar
demontventoux
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1233
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:14 pm
Location: Haaltert, Belgium

Post by demontventoux »

I have an AZERTY keyboard.
I hate qwerty :lol:
Collecting euro-coins and want to swap with me? Check this topic!!
Latest coin update: 04/09/2017
demoore
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:43 am

Post by demoore »

In China they use an american qwerty keyboard. One of the most popular to write chinese characters is to write the pronunciation with latin letters.
The chinese writen with chinese letters is called Pinyin. It's how everybody's learning chinese now.
User avatar
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:26 pm

Post by ART »

Italian QWERTY.
I would like to try the Dvorak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”