Latin
Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer
Latin
[en]
People on EBT are multi-linguists, so I thought to ask if we have EBTers who can write in latin
[la]
Homines in EuroBillTrackere sunt multi-linguisti, et ideo cogitabam rogare, si habemus EuroBillTrackeres, qui in lingua latina scribere possunt.
People on EBT are multi-linguists, so I thought to ask if we have EBTers who can write in latin
[la]
Homines in EuroBillTrackere sunt multi-linguisti, et ideo cogitabam rogare, si habemus EuroBillTrackeres, qui in lingua latina scribere possunt.
Never heard about that. I'd like to hear his bases. Those two languages have a long geographical difference, and I don't hink any portuguese ever conquered Italy.BossaNova wrote:did you ever heard about a theory of an english guy, that says that Latin had its origin in Portuguese and not the contrary as it's commonly accepted?
no, we didn'tAntti wrote:Never heard about that. I'd like to hear his bases. Those two languages have a long geographical difference, and I don't hink any portuguese ever conquered Italy.BossaNova wrote:did you ever heard about a theory of an english guy, that says that Latin had its origin in Portuguese and not the contrary as it's commonly accepted?
it's a crazy theory... I'll try to find out something more on the internet, and then tell you... I heard about it some years ago on tv, but the guy was presented as a fool.. he didn't care, probably he didn't like italians much...
It reminds me of this story... President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"Tiger wrote:Aren't French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Rumanian all derived from Latin ?
I always learned that at school... :p
That's what they say, and by my own experience I can tell French and Italian are much like latin, I can understand Italian text although I haven't studied any Italian(not really difficult text though) and knowing latin has helped my french studies a lot.Tiger wrote:Aren't French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Rumanian all derived from Latin ?
I always learned that at school... :p
I just wonder where did articles come from(are they called articles, like un, une, le, la, des and les in french), since there aren't any of them in latin. This just came to my mind because articles are rather hard to learn sometimes, because there aren't any of them in Finnish either.
I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
I think articles come from Germanic languages.... German has them, Dutch has them, English has them...Antti wrote:That's what they say, and by my own experience I can tell French and Italian are much like latin, I can understand Italian text although I haven't studied any Italian(not really difficult text though) and knowing latin has helped my french studies a lot.Tiger wrote:Aren't French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Rumanian all derived from Latin ?
I always learned that at school... :p
I just wonder where did articles come from(are they called articles, like un, une, le, la, des and les in french), since there aren't any of them in latin. This just came to my mind because articles are rather hard to learn sometimes, because there aren't any of them in Finnish either.
I'm affraid it's the second....Antti wrote:I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
I'm affraid it's the second....Antti wrote:I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"
Just crazy....
O.
At least he didn't expect them to speak latin anymore. The world is globalising, americans aren'tOlivier wrote:One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"
Just crazy....
O.
Actually , could globalization just mean americanisation ?Antti wrote:At least he didn't expect them to speak latin anymore. The world is globalising, americans aren'tOlivier wrote:One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"
Just crazy....
O.
- Tiger
- Euro-Master

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
- Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
- Contact:
Yeah maybe 
Ireland is english, isn't it ?
:p
Anyway, English is just a language that is quite easy to learn, and is used in (one of ) the biggest nations in the world.
Maybe it's just that the American (and other native English people) are too lazy to learn another language
Ireland is english, isn't it ?
:p
Anyway, English is just a language that is quite easy to learn, and is used in (one of ) the biggest nations in the world.
Maybe it's just that the American (and other native English people) are too lazy to learn another language
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese
One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"Olivier wrote:I'm affraid it's the second....Antti wrote:I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
Just crazy....
O.[/quote]
some weeks ago our prime minister went to america (he's not so stupid as Bush, but it's not so far from that..
Bush is one of the strongest reasons I support Lula for the presidency of Brasil!
GO LULA!
