Latin

Discuss here about everything but the Euro, but keep it decent. No spamming!

Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer

User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Latin

Post by Antti »

[en]
People on EBT are multi-linguists, so I thought to ask if we have EBTers who can write in latin
[la]
Homines in EuroBillTrackere sunt multi-linguisti, et ideo cogitabam rogare, si habemus EuroBillTrackeres, qui in lingua latina scribere possunt.
User avatar
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 12:13 pm
Location: Brussels

Post by BossaNova »

did you ever heard about a theory of an english guy, that says that Latin had its origin in Portuguese and not the contrary as it's commonly accepted? :roll:
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

BossaNova wrote:did you ever heard about a theory of an english guy, that says that Latin had its origin in Portuguese and not the contrary as it's commonly accepted? :roll:
Never heard about that. I'd like to hear his bases. Those two languages have a long geographical difference, and I don't hink any portuguese ever conquered Italy.
User avatar
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 12:13 pm
Location: Brussels

Post by BossaNova »

Antti wrote:
BossaNova wrote:did you ever heard about a theory of an english guy, that says that Latin had its origin in Portuguese and not the contrary as it's commonly accepted? :roll:
Never heard about that. I'd like to hear his bases. Those two languages have a long geographical difference, and I don't hink any portuguese ever conquered Italy.
no, we didn't :lol: :lol:

it's a crazy theory... I'll try to find out something more on the internet, and then tell you... I heard about it some years ago on tv, but the guy was presented as a fool.. he didn't care, probably he didn't like italians much... :lol:
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

Aren't French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Rumanian all derived from Latin ?
:)
I always learned that at school... :p
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Tiger wrote:Aren't French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Rumanian all derived from Latin ?
:)
I always learned that at school... :p
It reminds me of this story... President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"

:lol: :lol:
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

Tiger wrote:Aren't French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Rumanian all derived from Latin ?
:)
I always learned that at school... :p
That's what they say, and by my own experience I can tell French and Italian are much like latin, I can understand Italian text although I haven't studied any Italian(not really difficult text though) and knowing latin has helped my french studies a lot.
I just wonder where did articles come from(are they called articles, like un, une, le, la, des and les in french), since there aren't any of them in latin. This just came to my mind because articles are rather hard to learn sometimes, because there aren't any of them in Finnish either.
Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

Antti wrote:
Tiger wrote:Aren't French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Rumanian all derived from Latin ?
:)
I always learned that at school... :p
That's what they say, and by my own experience I can tell French and Italian are much like latin, I can understand Italian text although I haven't studied any Italian(not really difficult text though) and knowing latin has helped my french studies a lot.
I just wonder where did articles come from(are they called articles, like un, une, le, la, des and les in french), since there aren't any of them in latin. This just came to my mind because articles are rather hard to learn sometimes, because there aren't any of them in Finnish either.
I think articles come from Germanic languages.... German has them, Dutch has them, English has them...
Antti wrote:
Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.
I'm affraid it's the second.... :)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Antti wrote:
Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.
I'm affraid it's the second.... :)[/quote]

One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"

Just crazy....

O.
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

Olivier wrote:One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"

Just crazy....
O.
At least he didn't expect them to speak latin anymore. The world is globalising, americans aren't
User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Post by Olivier »

Antti wrote:
Olivier wrote:One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"

Just crazy....
O.
At least he didn't expect them to speak latin anymore. The world is globalising, americans aren't
Actually , could globalization just mean americanisation ?
User avatar
Antti
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm
Location: Turku, Finland, EU

Post by Antti »

Olivier wrote:Actually , could globalization just mean americanisation ?
That's what it mostly means anyway. EBTF is a good example, we write english here, though it's not anyones "own" language, and I don't think this has much to do with England.
User avatar
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 4:18 pm
Location: Heverlee, at 100m from Leuven, Belgium
Contact:

Post by Tiger »

Yeah maybe :)
Ireland is english, isn't it ?
:p

Anyway, English is just a language that is quite easy to learn, and is used in (one of ) the biggest nations in the world.
Maybe it's just that the American (and other native English people) are too lazy to learn another language :)
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
User avatar
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 12:13 pm
Location: Brussels

Post by BossaNova »

Olivier wrote:
Antti wrote:
Olivier wrote:President Bush comes to Mexico, where he meets the president Vincente Fox and starts a speach in front of a brilliant audience... "Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry... I am in latin america, but I can't speak latin"
I wonder if that was supposed to be a joke or if he really knows that little about his neighbours.
I'm affraid it's the second.... :)
One true thing which happened... When G Bush Jr came to visit Brasil, he was first surprised that the poeple was not speaking spanish... Then he told to the brasilian president "But, you have black people too!!!!"

Just crazy....

O.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

some weeks ago our prime minister went to america (he's not so stupid as Bush, but it's not so far from that.. :roll: ) and it was really funny to see all the effort that Bush was making to pronounce his name with spanish accent :lol: :lol: I'll bet he would be amazed to see that in Portugal spanish isn't also the official language... :lol: :lol:


Bush is one of the strongest reasons I support Lula for the presidency of Brasil! :P

GO LULA!
User avatar
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:02 pm
Location: Geilenkirchen

Post by Donald »

BossaNova wrote:Bush is one of the strongest reasons I support Lula for the presidency of Brasil! :P
Just for your files:
"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history"
(George W. Bush)
Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic Discussions”