University fees
Moderators: Fons, Crazy Bob, Phaseolus, eddydevries, Bollivierke, Ord€p, Craft, Math Murderer
University fees
The Portuguese government announced recently that public university fees are going to be rising. The fees are currently +/- €350 per school year. Their proposal is now €77/month, which would almost double current scholarship expenses. One of the arguments for this is that "we must comply with EU standards", which, from my point of view, means paying like most Europeans, while earning half of what they get (€350 is also the value of our national minimum wage).
So, I was just curious: how much do people pay in other EU countries to attend public universities?
How do your countries figure out how much university students must pay to attend the univs? (In Portugal, it's indexed to the national minimum wage).
So, I was just curious: how much do people pay in other EU countries to attend public universities?
How do your countries figure out how much university students must pay to attend the univs? (In Portugal, it's indexed to the national minimum wage).
There are basically no fees in Germany. However, depending heavily on the Bundesland and the city you are studying in, you have to pay between 30€ and 150€ (?) per semester for
- mandatory membership in the student union (if applicable)
- student ticket for public transportation (if applicable)
- fees for administration or specific examinations (if applicable)
- free use of certain sports facilities (if applicable)
- ...
There is an ongoing discussion about introducing tuition fees.
- mandatory membership in the student union (if applicable)
- student ticket for public transportation (if applicable)
- fees for administration or specific examinations (if applicable)
- free use of certain sports facilities (if applicable)
- ...
There is an ongoing discussion about introducing tuition fees.
- avij
- Forum Moderator

- Posts: 6192
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 10:45 pm
- Location: Helsinki Finland
- Contact:
Bzzzt, incorrect. Although it's not the university itself that wants the money, it's mandatory to pay the student union's membership fee (HYY, 30 EUR per year) and the Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS, 31.62 EUR per year). For the 30 EUR/year we get cheaper food from the university's lunch restaurants (Unicafe) and some student union's newspapers delivered home, among other things. YTHS lets students use the health services for ridiculously cheap fees -- how about 6 EUR for a visit to a dentist?K3lvin wrote:Nothing in Finland.
This was a Helsinki-oriented post, other universities may have a bit different rates, but the principles are still the same.
- eurobillsandcoins
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
- Location: Hong Kong SAR
- Contact:
- eurobillsandcoins
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
- Location: Hong Kong SAR
- Contact:
In Canada its sooooooooooo expensive(even for Canadians) I had a emplayee who sent her child to the University in Toronto. Cost $18000 a year. I'm not sure how you calculate your fees. But all inclusively, its $18000 CAD (approx €11.500).
Explain how you calculate please
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
It's simple... It costs less in Europe than in North America!eurobillsandcoins wrote:In Canada its sooooooooooo expensive(even for Canadians) I had a emplayee who sent her child to the University in Toronto. Cost $18000 a year. I'm not sure how you calculate your fees. But all inclusively, its $18000 CAD (approx €11.500).Explain how you calculate please
Maybe I will, after the new fees are implemented.eurobillsandcoins wrote:Anyone here need a loan? Id be happy to finance you.
We also have some benefits, such as complete meals for €1,75 and... well, i guess it's about it, if you don't have a scolarship. Some people have government scholarships. Unfortunately, these are given by appreciating IRS statements and it's soooooo easy to fool the IRS around here. Which, in extremes cases, means seeing the offspring of extremely wealthy people (doctors, lawyers, etc.) getting really high scolarships while others (like me) just stare...
I'm sorry for putting you all up with my bitterness, but I feel so revolted with this.
- eurobillsandcoins
- Euro-Master in Training

- Posts: 754
- Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 am
- Location: Hong Kong SAR
- Contact:
WHAT IS THIS SUPPOSED TO MEAN?????????????BogPoet wrote:Maybe I will, after the new fees are implemented.eurobillsandcoins wrote:Anyone here need a loan? Id be happy to finance you.It's terrible for me, since my father is basically earning me my univ expenses, and I'm not really an A-level student, which means I'll probably be here for years to come...
We also have some benefits, such as complete meals for €1,75 and... well, i guess it's about it, if you don't have a scolarship. Some people have government scholarships. Unfortunately, these are given by appreciating IRS statements and it's soooooo easy to fool the IRS around here. Which, in extremes cases, means seeing the offspring of extremely wealthy people (doctors, lawyers, etc.) getting really high scolarships while others (like me) just stare...
I'm sorry for putting you all up with my bitterness, but I feel so revolted with this.
Hong Kong-Asia's world city.
Whoops, I'm studying in Ammattikorkeakoulu (polytechnic in English?) and it's not mandatory for us to join the student union. (we still get cheap food, we have these Kela's (Social insurance institution of Finland) meal subsidy cards (which work also in Unicafe, btw). I thought it's the same for universities also.avij wrote:Bzzzt, incorrect. Although it's not the university itself that wants the money, it's mandatory to pay the student union's membership fee (HYY, 30 EUR per year) and the Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS, 31.62 EUR per year). For the 30 EUR/year we get cheaper food from the university's lunch restaurants (Unicafe) and some student union's newspapers delivered home, among other things. YTHS lets students use the health services for ridiculously cheap fees -- how about 6 EUR for a visit to a dentist?K3lvin wrote:Nothing in Finland.
This was a Helsinki-oriented post, other universities may have a bit different rates, but the principles are still the same.


